Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: A Newbie and a SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Default A Newbie and a SCX10

Hi there!

I am new to RCC and to the scale 4x4 RC world. I have been a 4x4 enthusiast for some time now and I am looking to by my first scale trail rig in the next month or two.

I have set my sights on the Axial SCX10 Dingo as it suits my aesthetic taste as well as my price needs and everything I have read about Axial and the SCX10 seems to indicate that this is a pretty solid platform for a beginner like myself.

The question that I have is about practical problems and solutions that I (having no real experience) likely have not considered.

Can anyone give me a heads-up on any problems I might encounter as I take those first tentative steps into the wild and perhaps make some suggestions as to some upgrades that I am will likely need more than want.

Thank you for your support!
zombiecrawler426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #2
RCC Addict

go to the SCX10 section and read tons of info
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
go to the SCX10 section and read tons of info
x2

welcome to rcc, there's a lot of info here for you. Best advise: read, read and then read some more.
I bought a scx10 after a month of research on this site... it really helps.
Also, if you buy the kit instead of rtr, you'll literally get to know your truck inside and out!
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #4

Thanks to you both for the advice... I shall stick my nose in the SCX10 threads.

As far as kit vs. rtr, I agree with the concept of knowing the rig inside and out, and in the future, I certainly intend on building a comp crawler from the table up.

That said, the kit costs $275 and comes with a body that I don't fancy (a cool body, granted, just not my first choice), and a lack of electronics. $electronics + $body + $paint + $tools = $$cha-ching$$

The rtr comes with most everything I need to roll out of the box, at the nominal price increase of only $25 bucks! Plus I get the body that I prefer and I don't have to cut my teeth learning how to paint on my first go around.

In an effort to curb initial expense and frustration I am set on the rtr. I will still get to learn loads about the truck upgrading and replacing parts in the future.

Thanks again!
zombiecrawler426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I myself like the looks of the dingo also ,and it is better to start with what makes you happy than to not start at all
you will most likely upgrade alot as you go the electronics will be close to a first as will the plastic steering linkage(several have reinforced these),then you will maybe go for the links,and you will break the stock drive shafts but traxxas shafts are a great alternative and won't break the bank
Welcome to rcc and the addictive hobby we call a sport lol
slow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiecrawler426 View Post
Thanks to you both for the advice... I shall stick my nose in the SCX10 threads.

As far as kit vs. rtr, I agree with the concept of knowing the rig inside and out, and in the future, I certainly intend on building a comp crawler from the table up.

That said, the kit costs $275 and comes with a body that I don't fancy (a cool body, granted, just not my first choice), and a lack of electronics. $electronics + $body + $paint + $tools = $$cha-ching$$

The rtr comes with most everything I need to roll out of the box, at the nominal price increase of only $25 bucks! Plus I get the body that I prefer and I don't have to cut my teeth learning how to paint on my first go around.

In an effort to curb initial expense and frustration I am set on the rtr. I will still get to learn loads about the truck upgrading and replacing parts in the future.

Thanks again!
Nothing wrong with a RTR. I have two where it made no sense to build a kit, an SC10 and a LNC. Even so, there are adjustments to be made and tweaks to do so there's no reason to not "know" your car.
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote