Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: shoe goo on batteries.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default shoe goo on batteries.

Hey guys,

on my txt,I have the batteries mounted on the axles..I was wondering if I can put shoe goo where the battery bars and the battery meet,and the wires and stuff.Would this "waterproof"the battery?Would it be ok for the plastic on the cell to get wet?would the shoe goo short the battery out?Thanks !
WestCoastPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The shoe-goo won't short the batteries out, but if you are looking to waterproof the pack go to your local Ace hardware and pick up some Plasti-dip. It comes in different colors and can also be used on your electronics to waterproof them also.
thaclodking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Forgot to mention its about $10 a can but I dipped 5 packs, 2 receivers and a speed control and have plenty left.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I doubt that Shoe Good is conductive, so it shouldn't cause the cells to short. But, people run open packs in the water without any kind of protection. Using them under water won't make the cells short, but I am not sure about corrosion or whatnot. Anyone have some input on thier experiences with running battery packs in water? What about you ORCRC guys - you guys can't seem to stay out of the drink . Any corrosion caused by water getting under the heat-shrink?
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

my father has some type of strong glue thats like shoe goo,except its some time of super glue.Its the one that youmix together.Will this work?Better safe than sorry=)
Old 04-09-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I am not sure that a super-glue or epoxy type adhesive is necessary for waterproofing. As theclodking mentiond, Plasti-Dip is a good option, and you can always seal the pack in a balloon as well for a little extra security.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
I am not sure that a super-glue or epoxy type adhesive is necessary for waterproofing. As theclodking mentiond, Plasti-Dip is a good option, and you can always seal the pack in a balloon as well for a little extra security.

That's what I was thinking... get a big enough balloon, stretch out the mouth to fit the battery in. Then you can zip tie the mouth around the wires, maybe add a litle shoe goo at the end there, and you sould be all set. The nice thing about it is that you can easily cut open the balloon to repair a batt bar if needed or whatever...
But the plasti-dip idea is a pretty cool one too.
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Could I get the plati-dip at lowes?what isle?and does it come in clear?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

You should be able to. Go to there website and they have a listing for all of the retail outlets that carry it. Just do a google on Plasti-dip.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
MODERATOR™

Wouldn't heat disappation be a problem with the Plasti dip? I know my batteries get warm when charging.

Also, my batteries go for swims all the time, unprotected. I dry them off before I pack em away. They're DC, they work under water. Just like the motors do.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Running them uncoated will be fine...but if you want them coated then that plastic dip wont hurt anything for batteries...just make sure that they are solderd right and strong and setup how you want...the plastic dip dosnt come off...

Duke
DUKEMURMUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Wouldn't heat disappation be a problem with the Plasti dip? I know my batteries get warm when charging.

Also, my batteries go for swims all the time, unprotected. I dry them off before I pack em away. They're DC, they work under water. Just like the motors do.
I charge mine at a fairly low rate so I haven't had any problems with it yet.