Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: newbie 1st crawler question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default newbie 1st crawler question?

hello all. ive recentlty decided to get into rc rockcrawling. i dont have a rig now but ive been lookin at the Axial AX10 Scorpion RTC and the Axial SCX10 TR. Im just looking for something i can put batteries in and start crawling and upgrade as i go. If theres other rigs im missing out on maybe u guys can help.

Thanks
chopan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

There's a few "stores" that offer rtr rigs that usually come in kit form.
rc4wd offers several options.
jp customs offers the axial xr10 as a rtr

just a few options to look into.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i would recommend the losi night crawler
flizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flizz View Post
i would recommend the losi night crawler
X2. Nightcrawler is a great choice for a starter rig. You don't have to fight torque twist as much as you do with axial.
GEOCRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i really like the nightcrawler as it has the worm gear. plus it seems as theres enough upgradeable parts that it would make a good beginner rig to just crawl and upgrade as i go.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

If you decide on a Losi crawler, shop around. You can get a Comp Crawler ARTR for less than $200 or a Night Crawler for $275ish.
MonkeyRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

For the money the Night crawler is the best but if you think you are going to stay in crawling i would get the axial xr10. You could always start out without dig or 2 esc's.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

my 1st choice was the axial. but after reading about the nightcrawler im leaning more towards that direction. as far as shopping around im not sure where to look as im still fairly new.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Here you go.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/losb0104.htm
easleycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Consider what you want to do. Rock crawling or trail running? Rock crawlers are more of a trailer rig, where a trail rig (SCX10) can be driven to and from the trial so things will not be as extreme and costly.
From the posting, I'd recommend the SCX10 in the Trail Ready versions as it sounds like you want to go more trail running with some rocks. If your wanting something fun to go outside and run a couple battery packs through then the SCX10 is the one.
If your wanting to go rock crawling then the Night Crawler is a good choice as it can be turned into a comp crawler. The comp crawler and other crawlers such as the XR10 are not something you'll really want to go outside and run multiple battery packs through as they can be costly to maintain and even get running.

Any of these r/c's can get as expensive as you like. Look into Benders SCX Honco Bender's Honcho............Now Sporting Wraith Axles The thing is pretty darn close to stock and has been beat for well over a year and it still runs great. He has plenty of videos to check out too not sure if there in his thread but there pretty easy to find on youtube.

I'm having more fun with a SCX10 then I am with my Losi comp crawler, as I can run the SCX10 just about anywhere, and I can run 2-3 packs for well over an hour to two of run time which I can't with the crawler. The comp crawler only gets run at comps so its fun factor is highly limited. The SCX10 is great at home, at scale comps, out camping, out hiking, at a picnic and so on. So the fun factor is through the roof! Highly addicting and just plain out fun!

The SCX10 can easily be converted into a crawler with a different chassis, ax-10 chassis can be found for $10 or less and some minor hardware and parts. Much cheaper to buy SCX10 and convert to AX10 then it is to go the other way.
Flexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexx View Post
Consider what you want to do.
Since you mention both the AX-10 and SCX-10, I agree with Flexx. Decide first if you want a comp based crawler or a scaler...then go from there.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #12

If you decide you're more into pure clawling, I will add my vote for the LNC as a great place to start. I have really been amazed at how much fun it is to see what you can crawl over and how to do it. I didn't know I would enjoy going so slow!
MauriceW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i think the scx10 is gonna be the one even tho i found a good deal on a AX10. i mostly plan on some trail running and light to moderate rockcrawling so the scx is sounding like the way to go.

I
Old 01-31-2014, 03:19 PM   #14

Default Re: newbie 1st crawler question?

I just got into RC Rockcrawling myself. I bought an Axial Wraith and am extremely happy!! It is a really fun and capable crawler, tons of hop-ups available and still fast enough to go bashing with (it is a rock-racer). Just thought i'd throw that option out there

-Dan
dan.nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #15

Default Re: newbie 1st crawler question?

i got the sxc 10 rubicon and i love it
s.p.crawler is offline   Reply With Quote