Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best waterproof method? SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #1

Default Best waterproof method? SCX10

Hello, was wondering the best way to waterproof my electronics in my 2.2 scx10.
I thought about getting a waterproof tupperwear container, installing esc and rx in it and drilling holes for the wires, then using caulking around the holes. or maybe using a traxxas waterproof reciever box. Any help would be great.
Thanks!
traxfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Balloons with a little shoe Goo in the end and a zip tie around it. Works pretty good
boosted4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I took a condom, wrapped the reciever and l.e.d light kit up in it, stuffed it back into the stock electronic box, and zip tied everything real neatly back together. If water does enter the box it sure isn't get'n in the electronics unless the condom breaks and in which case I'd be worried about saving for a ring and meet'n the parents

I'm run'n a TraxxaS XL5 ecm which is waterproof. It is. I've dunked it a few times EEEK. I haven't waterproofed my servo, and suprisingly it's still doing just fine. The inner axle hardware and stuff is rusting a bit though....and the truck now makes funny squeeks it never made before but it runs just fine.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Balloons.

Running a mamba max pro and 2.4 reciever with no worries.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Way too much work. I live where there is quite a bit of snow...I snow proofed most of my rigs with stuff called Corrosion X. Look for a vid on You tube, I stumbled upon it a while back and thought what the hell. I have not had one issue yet and I have ran MMMs in slushy wet snow for 30min straight. Amazing stuff and I highly recommend it.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
Way too much work. I live where there is quite a bit of snow...I snow proofed most of my rigs with stuff called Corrosion X. Look for a vid on You tube, I stumbled upon it a while back and thought what the hell. I have not had one issue yet and I have ran MMMs in slushy wet snow for 30min straight. Amazing stuff and I highly recommend it.
It only took me maybe 20 minutes to wrap all the electronics in a condom and button it all down with zip ties. Easy as can be.....not too much work at all.
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Okay 3 seconds to dunk everything and mount like normal and 1000x cleaner install.
Desert Rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rc View Post
I get alot of snow too, and putting your electronics in a ballon (except the esc) works perfect and to prevent rust i just spray some WD-40 on the U-joints and other hardware
ScubaMan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxfan32 View Post
Hello, was wondering the best way to waterproof my electronics in my 2.2 scx10. I thought about getting a waterproof tupperwear container, installing esc and rx in it and drilling holes for the wires, then using caulking around the holes. or maybe using a traxxas waterproof reciever box. Any help would be great.
Thanks!
Your idea will work as long as your setup does not get warm.

A Traxxas WP XL-5, 2075 WP servo, and $-ch micro rx in a WP box should do quite well.

Instead of WD-40, I would use silicone spray. WD-40 is an old military creation, also known as water displacement #40. It is made with petroleum distillates, which may not always be real nice to synthetics, attracts a lot of dirt, and removed lubricants and grease.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Default Waterproofing Made Easy...

I'll just write a little how to on waterproofing without using a project box or Tupperware (to me it just looks really tacky and increases your COG).

1). Waterproofing servos and RX's are very easy to do. To waterproof a servo take apart the 4 small phillips screws on the base. Then use either marine grease, white lithium grease, or dielectric grease and pack the top portion of your servo gears liberally when you close the servo case a little grease should ooze out the side and the top of the spline. Marine, lithium, and dielectric grease repel water. Then find a small black/orange rubber O ring and run it over the servo spline before attaching the horn. Before reassembling the servo make sure you apply dielectric grease liberally over the bottom circuit board of the servo as well. Again when you close it a small amount should ooze out.

After the grease is packed inside your servo reassemble the servo and use alcohol to clean the grease off your servo. Next step is even simpler. Use Plastidip (only the canned version not the spray on) and dip your entire servo into it including the base where the wires come out. Make a small knot with the excess servo wires and hang it off a unfolded paperclip and rest the paperclip holding the servo over something that you don't mind the Plastidip dripping on. About 5-10 minutes the Plastidip becomes pliable with your hands. Push the Plastidip and mold it into both ends of the servo. You can use 2-3 coats of Plastidip if you want.

RX's just put them in a small balloon, condom, or I use jewlery bags that I pack with dielectric grease at the end and twist tight and use about 3 zip ties holding the grease.

2). Brushed motors require no waterproofing.
NiMH batteries require no waterproofing but just make sure you poke a small exit hole to drain water out and use a heat gun after wet runs.
Lipos you can waterproof yourself with Plastidip just make sure the ends are sealed just as good as your servo.

I would not use the Traxxas 2075 WP servo...I fried 2 of them already just in my practice yard....and they are plastic geared.

On the SCX10 as an extra precaution I also use silicone around the edges of the radio box where the wires come out.

3). Waterproof/mud proof your axles and tranny. This is VERY important especially if you go deep mudding like me. This is the easiest step to do take apart both axles and pack them full of white lithium grease until it oozes out. This prevents mud/dirt/water from getting inside your ring/pinion. Also it aids in lubricating your gears. Same thing with your tranny. Pack it with white lithium grease or marine grease so no mud or dirt can get inside.

All in all probably takes 2-3 hours but after that you'll be ready for this:

alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote