Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 2 wheel drive blows!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 2 wheel drive blows!!

As you can tell by the user name I'm looking in to the jump to all 4 wheels churning up the mud. I've had my 2WD Stampede for 4 months and done some upgrades. I'd like to have an RC I can go slowly up and over things so I have a few questions about these cool looking rock crawlers. While I get the appeal of scale trucks like the Axial SCX10 they don't seem to have the articulation and climb-ability of, say, the Losi Mini Crawler. (I know they are different sized vehicles but those are the 2 I'm looking at)
Is it a choice of looks over talent? And I don't want to spend loads of money or time upgrading either, also not going to compete.
Also are these 4wheel drive vehicles actually true 4 wheel drive or right rear/left front drive like all my Toyota four bys were. Are the diffs locked or do I need to upgrade to a locker/spool?

One other thing, is there a listing of clubs for different areas as it would be fun to crawl with others. The dog is poor RC company, he just barks at the Stampede. 'Course I do egg him on a bit! I'm in the Hamilton, Ontario, Canada area.

Thanks in advance
Mart
Thanks
4WDwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDwannabe View Post
As you can tell by the user name I'm looking in to the jump to all 4 wheels churning up the mud. I've had my 2WD Stampede for 4 months and done some upgrades. I'd like to have an RC I can go slowly up and over things so I have a few questions about these cool looking rock crawlers. While I get the appeal of scale trucks like the Axial SCX10 they don't seem to have the articulation and climb-ability of, say, the Losi Mini Crawler. (I know they are different sized vehicles but those are the 2 I'm looking at)
Is it a choice of looks over talent? And I don't want to spend loads of money or time upgrading either, also not going to compete.
Also are these 4wheel drive vehicles actually true 4 wheel drive or right rear/left front drive like all my Toyota four bys were. Are the diffs locked or do I need to upgrade to a locker/spool?

One other thing, is there a listing of clubs for different areas as it would be fun to crawl with others. The dog is poor RC company, he just barks at the Stampede. 'Course I do egg him on a bit! I'm in the Hamilton, Ontario, Canada area.

Thanks in advance
Mart
Thanks
3 wheel drive is worse
I had a mrc and i have 2 scx10 based scalers and i can happily say that scalers in my opinion are alot funner. some can get massive amounts of articulation out of their scx10s but it looks lame. the similarities between an even stock scx10 and a 1:1 are what make them so fun. trailing, muddin, crawlin they will do it all. and some really do CRAWL. I would go with the rtr Dingo or honcho and go from there. the first drive youll be hooked. and yes all of the scx10s are full time 4wd
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

As for regional forums, look at the bottom of the forum there are regional forums for the United States and the rest of the world. Ask around and you should be able to find a club or at least couple buddies to crawl with.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
RCC Addict

the scx10 has a locker in the front and rear so when you goose the throttle all 4 tires spin at the same time.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

one thing nobody mentioned to me when buying a scx10 is that the drive shafts are super weak, broke 1 in 2 weeks flat, so buying metal MIP drive shafts are a must if you are a basher, pushing your rc to the limit, i was doin fish tail on dirt down a hill gunning it good and yeah... you know the rest. tried to climb a hill and i'm dragging drive shaft :(
Spiike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #6

@Spiike yeah, within 20s of my SCX10 Dingo out of the box, i ran it on carpet and it broke a plastic yoke (plastic drive shaft piece connecting to the transmission). I got it replaced free, bought some spare Traxxas ones, but then bought aluminum ones immediately. With some thread lock, its a perfect under $20 investment!

As for the OP...the thread is kind of like asking 'I wanna buy a vehicle, what should I buy?'. How will you use it? What do you want out of it? Realism/scalability, extreme crawling, competition, etc. Im with some others, the Scale is the best if you're not too competitive, its all about creativity, there are some amazing custom fab's here in this forum...if you're handy with tools, half the fun is building custom parts/upgrades. Im at about $500 with the SCX 10 Dingo RTR, upgraded aluminum links/steering/driveshafts, and when you buy the RTR you still have to get a battery/charger (they come with 2.4Ghz controller/receivers now).

good luck
d3r3k99 is offline   Reply With Quote