Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: servo winch question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation servo winch question

i have read the info on the front page about making a winch but i dont know what to do once i egt up to here

its say somthing about gluing sumthing. what do i glue? o yer and i alread took the bump out of that thing. this was just a practice. i am going to try it again tonight with my proper servo. i am going to use the standar savage steering servo

thanks
brendan h is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

There is no reason to tear down the servo that much, go back and re-read "Carefully" the article, it's all pretty clear. There should be no reason at all to seperate the case. i think you're putting too much thought in to it. http://www.rccrawler.com/winch.htm
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i only tore it down that much cause i thort you ahd to make it spin and it wasnt spinning all the way. put i guess thats cause i never tested it when it was on. o well trial and error. so i just got to work ont he top part and trim the nubs down?
i read it and i dont know what to do when it says

Quote:
Grab the pot adjuster (the needle nose plies in the picture are just for clarity purposes) and turn it until you find the point where the servo stops. It will be touchy but it's there somewhere. Once you have found the “off” position, flip the switch on the radio to make sure the servo turns when you want it to. Skippy told me that a dab of CA will help keep the adjuster from drifting. I have not tried this before but it sounds like a good idea to me.
where do i put the glue?
Old 04-23-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You know the main out put gear that the servo horn attaches to, that has a small plastic or brass insert from the bottom behind the bearing, the top of the potentiometer sits in that little insert so when the gear moves in either directoin it move the potentiometer so the servo electornics board knows the position. You remove that insert so it does not spin the potentiometer.

Now what the article is say is now hook up your servo to a radio, make sure channel trim is set to center on the radio. then use a pair of needle nose pliers or tweezers to turn that potentiometer to make sure the servo motor is centered and not spinning in either direction. Once set, drop a bit of ca glue on that potentiometer so it does not move out of adjustment, but only a small drop.

Then reassemble.

Does that help?
Old 04-23-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

so i move the potentiometer till the servo stops? then i turn the radio on, then i glue the tip of the potentiometer to the plastic? is that right?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:17 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan h
so i move the potentiometer till the servo stops? then i turn the radio on, then i glue the tip of the potentiometer to the plastic? is that right?
Uh no......... The little plastic piece in the main gear will be removed and discarded, you won't use it. Plug, the servo into the radio receiver, turn the transmitter on, center the channel trim on the transmitter, while everything is on, move the potentiometer until it's dead center i.e. servo motor does not move. Drop a small bit of glue on the potentiometer to lock it in place, let it dry, reassemble.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

sounds like youhave a cheap servo like me heres what you do.

http://www.dprg.org/projects/2003-05a/

you'll have to scroll down a bit to find it. it worked perfect for me
skidooguymxz550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

yes well i figared it out even befor i got to read this. now i got to mod my control. i think i might need a switch thats has ajustble trim. can you bu switches with a forward, middle, netural and with trim so you can make it go slow?

the control i will be using is the HPI TF-4. i have 2 of these controls but one is broken so is it posiple to some how get a switch thats has trim on it and put it in the one that works?

also does anyone have links to peoples winches as i need to know where to mount it. to the body or to the chassie?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
PapaGriz Yo

Definately mount it to the chassis.

You can seee mine above the front tires.

Here is where the cable comes out my fairlead.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:20 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

is there a way to mod a savage control? cause i need trim on it. and now i got to find a way to mount the winch to the stock tlt chassie. i think i got an ider.

thanks

EDIT= what i ment was can i get a trim switch from my old controla and mod it into the new one. will this trim switch have a nutral?

Last edited by brendan h; 04-24-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:41 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
is there a way to mod a savage control? cause i need trim on it. and now i got to find a way to mount the winch tot he stock tlt chassie. i think i got an ider.

thanks
This is the only thread I know of where someone modded the savage radio. The pics are gone but it sounds like it is very similar to modding a TQ3.

Savage radio for 4ws Please help.

I'm sure you could add a centering pot but I dont know a part number. Here is the Traaxxas one:
Existing screw hole, existing rear steering trim, new right and left EPA trim pots, new charging jack.

From this thread:
My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i think i got an ider on what to do. now my question now is will a trim switch work? cause i need an ajustible trim on it.

so all i ahve to do is pull the standared 3rd channel switch out and put the new one in and make it sit the control?
Old 04-26-2006, 12:08 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i think i stuffed up the remote i was goign to use. i am gana try fix it if it wont work i am gana get the TQ3. now do i wire up a switch to that? is it the same for all?
Old 04-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

why do people always ignor me? i have tryed a search on putting a 3 way togal switch in a TQ3 and nothing. so has anyone got info on putting in a toggal switch in a TQ3 for a winch?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
i think i got an ider on what to do.

I know I'm not supposed to nag about spelling, but are you trying to say "idea" here? I though it was a typo the first time, the next few times I'm pretty sure that's what you're trying to say, but you keep doing it over and over.

To answer what I think your question is, yes, just replace the 3rd channel switch with a knob switch, then you'll just have to find the sweet spot to center it.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:23 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

yer i am not good with spelling. i got a 3 way togal switch. so ill put that in
Old 04-26-2006, 08:36 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

How To: Convert a Traxxas TQ3 for 4wsthis should be what your looking for
Old 04-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

isnt that for the 4ws? or is it all the same? so basicly i got to take out the old switch and put the new one in?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:42 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

that's what i got out of it. It's the same as for a winch.