Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: hsp 1/8 rock crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 09:39 PM   #1

Default hsp 1/8 rock crawler

hey everyone new to this site and new to rock crawlers just want to know if these hsp truck are any good and if any one on here have some been looking at this i like the look of it any tips or hints would be great thanx..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-1-8-SCALE...item5adfe76c98
cooper69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I'm always wary of stuff like this, hard to get parts, made out of cheap stuff etc.

I would spend some more time looking and try and find an axial rtc if i were you
bwm8142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

looks like a scx10,ax-10, and a clod all threw in together
crawlinnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:22 PM   #4

I've been looking at these also.. From searching google they have a few problems.. The diff's crack and should be reinforced with a metal plate and hot glue before running and the gears can strip pretty easily..
There's also two versions, so make sure you get the T2 that has the alloy links and a few other upgrades over the other model.. Check with the seller and ask if they carry a full range of spares as some of the Aussie eBay sellers do..
Myself I've decided to go for an axial as if you look around you can get them from $300-$400 RTR posted to Australia, once again search google for it is your friend..
My honest opinion is that the buy now price is to much.. Go to there auction and they rearly sell for more than $170..
fantomphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.
Thumbs up

if you don't know the company that makes the rc car then i wouldn't buy it, unless some one that you know has one, even then i'd be warry about it.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

my 12 year old nephew has one. it has broken upper link mounts on the axle, which i have made alloy one to replace. burnt out 2 esc's, the second time replaced with a better quality one after the supplier turned out to be useless at support. the lower plastic links snap, but are cheap anyway.

it has not broken any drivetrain parts though, including the axle which is said to be a common problem.

it is pretty capable actually and runs well now, but a better choice would be an ax10/scx10 or similar. i picked up a used ax10 for the same price as the hsp was new.

a better choice for 1/8 would be the exceed mad torque, but i cant seem to find them in the uk. plenty of threads inn the superclass section about them.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

i have a t2 version! and i love it! i mean it did need a few upgrades buy nothing major! and all the parts are on ebay! they need a decent steering servo and tyres! and i changed my lower arms! but other then that all my other upgrades where what i wanted not needed
tuf-gmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuf-gmh View Post
i have a t2 version! and i love it! i mean it did need a few upgrades buy nothing major! and all the parts are on ebay! they need a decent steering servo and tyres! and i changed my lower arms! but other then that all my other upgrades where what i wanted not needed
hey tuff-gmh i was looking at the 1/8 crawler with all the alloy arms ect not sure if its a t2 how do u tell and what type of esc and wheels are u useing what brands i mean thanx..
Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

i run the standard wheels just changed the tyres 2 rc4wd x loks! the sizes is 4.0 and im running the standard esc at the moment! but looking at upgrading 2 a hh bl-xr! it will say if its a t2 or not! and the lower arms i got are alot more stronger then the factory 1s
tuf-gmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

HSP is a good enough company!

I have 3 of their road drift cars all perform very well, one even survived an incident with a HPI Savage!

I now have the crawler and here in UK there are 3 places I can get ANY part I want within 3 days

Mine set me back all of £114 on ebay as nobody bid on it, suppose they didnt like the brand, oh well my gain LOL
elf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

well let me tell you this. If you looking for a basher you found it. If your serious about crawling and want to compete then look to axial or Losi.

BEFOR YOU EVEN TURN IT ON!!!!

1. Tear it down open the manual reasemble. Grease the axles very well. Use thread lock when ever you can.

2. Its not going to crawl worth a crap with them motors. your going to want to upgrade to at least Integy 55t motors. (since its an 8th scale Id run 65,75,85 Turn motors due to weight!!)

3. Tires are most likely crap, drill holes in the rims to vent air out so they form rocks. Use wheel weights in the front.

4. Shocks. look iffy rebuild them using good shock oil.

5. upgrade your servo, big tires need lots of torque.

Read this forum day and night and research what you want!!!! and use the Search function located at the top of the page!.

Good luck.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

agree with some of your points.

rims DO have holes already

servo is rated to 12KG

Shocks are actually pretty good out the box, just springs little too soft.

Tyres are pretty poor yes

but yes this is never gonna be a comp chassis, even with every upgade they have for it.
but for cheap end of market for newbies testing the water its great

So yes your right its more of a basher.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:57 AM   #13

thanx 4 everyones comments all have good points im not going in comps or anything just a bit of fun in the bush were i live lots of rocky creek beds ect
Old 05-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Cooper thats what I do with mine, I have an old mine near me

so thats great for me!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #15

Default Re: hsp 1/8 rock crawler

Whats up yall im new to crawler i got a integy super monster crawler mc01 i dont know what turn motors to get its 1/8 scale or servos to get i found my esc can any one help me out give me some pointers on what 540 size motors to get thanx
rc nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

any recent opinions on this vehicle, the T2 version.
Cainlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #17
Pebble Pounder

want to find a new body for may D90
mike_like is offline   Reply With Quote