Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: vxl system in a scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default vxl system in a scx10

hey guy's i didn't knwo where to post this here or the scx section but i want ot put a vxl system into a scx10 but wanted to know if the trukc would handle it or is it too much power if it needs ot be in the3 scx section have a mod please mvoe it thansk zach.
tundrafan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

I have a feeling folks are going to tell you to use the search button.

But, yes... it'll work. There's plenty of guys running it and there's enough hop ups for the scx 10 that you can put the beef where you need it. Shafts, cvd's/tubes, gears and so on.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

vxl scx10?

Anyone using the waterproof vxl brushless system?

thoughts on a vxl powered scx10
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

well, I ran a castle 1410 4pole 3800kv motor with 13/87 gearing in my mostly stock (at the time) scx10 and it was pretty good, not the best low end control but not too bad.. the trick is use a small pinion.. mine would go about 10mph full out on a fresh charge... .. I would have to run to catch it for sure, faster than fast walking speed.. I didn't cog much but it was a little twitchy going from forward to reverse and forward again sometimes

the VXL systems have a 3500kv motor and I would gear it around the same., 13 or maybe 14t pinion.. I have had cogging issues with my VXL systems on other platforms so keeping the pinion small will help with that also...

I would make sure your slipper is loose enough to protect your drive shafts or think about going with MIP or junfac universals eventually.. I never broke my stock ones (they had the metal yoke going to a plastic shaft) but I hear about people breaking them a lot. I guess it depends on how you drive the truck also.
crumplez0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

awesome and i have mip driveshaft's on it already and a robison raceign gear where the output's are on hte trans for them how fast woudl it be with the stokc scx gearing thank's guy's.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

if the stock pinion is 20T it's going to go pretty fast with a 3500kv... plus cogging on start might be an issue.. but not sure. I would plan on trying to get a smaller pinion if you want to run like that for a while.

Last edited by crumplez0ne; 05-11-2011 at 05:24 PM.
crumplez0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

sock scx is a 16 tooth pinion gear.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrafan01 View Post
sock scx is a 16 tooth pinion gear.
??

Is it different between the Dingo and the Honcho? My son's Dingo is a 20 tooth.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:47 AM   #9
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Basicly the same...2 years ago.

MY OG FORMULA "When you're tired of your crawler and want more!"
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:24 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Its what i have always used since me and my wife dont do alot of crawling mostly trailing and it has enough slow speed control with a small pinion to get around the slow stuff but plenty of wheel speed for the hill climbs and mud that we go through(alot) with only a 2s.The down side is it will break eveything my wifes truck snapped 3 drive shafts in one day so now she sports punisher shafts with upgraded trans and heavy duty gears in both axles.On my truck i use 1/8 hpi drive shafts but im going to use jato shafts since there the strongest traxxas shaft besides the 1/8 stuff.Sometimes i would like better control over some rocks but once i hit the steep hills and deep mud i forget all about that and let it scream.I tried 3s one time and holly crap it was to much.
muddbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Im currently running a Vxl in my honcho with a summit Tranny and its alot of fun and using a small pinion I hardly get any cogging in low and it screams in high for the hills and stuff, haven't broke to much yet but haven't put the 3s to it really either. Im running tmaxx shafts and only popped em when my plastic 3 link components failed beef it up a lil and run the piss out of it.
lifted_xj is offline   Reply With Quote