Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newb questions about Axial SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 04:23 AM   #1

Default Newb questions about Axial SCX10

I just recently bought what I think is a used Axial SCX10 off Craigslist. The guy I bought it off of said it was "professionally built". It appears to be waterproof because the box that the on/off button is on as well as the steering servo say they're waterproof. So my first question is, is that all that needs to be waterproof? The motor doesn't say it's waterproof. My second question is related to the winch that he put on it. He said that it worked but conveniently for him the battery died before he could show it to me. Turns out the wires for it aren't hooked up. Where do the wires go and once they're hooked up how do I get the winch to work? From what I can tell by pictures on the internet it doesn't look like the truck is very stock, is that correct? The steering servo and the box with on/off button (not sure what the proper term is for that box) are Traxxas. The motor says 35T but I can't read the brand name (it's covered by wires and I don't want to take things apart just yet). The controller is a Futaba T3PL. My last question is did I get a good deal..I paid $350 for the truck, controller, 3 batteries, spare winch, and a big rolling toolbox filled with tools and miscellaneous spare parts.
dtm4192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #2

Pics

Old 05-17-2011, 05:21 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

The servo and Esc are definetly not the best and the motor is Ok. The proffesionally built thing he said was bs because of all the loose wires. Looks like my rig.

I've not got stats on that servo but I know that traxxas doesn't make a very high-torque servo. With the winch and tools, depending on what was in the tool box, I beleive you could've gotten a good deal. Although, if the toolbox is full of crap, I would've gotten an rtr.

Also, it would help if I could see some links and the bed of the rig.
Dillpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

It looks like most of the important bits are waterproof.
The motor will do fine, as long as you clean it out with some motor spray after getting it in water.
I'm not sure how waterproof that box for the light controls is, someone else will have to chime in.
Also, I'm not sure about the winch.

Looks like a fun rig.
dmcchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That servo has around 125 oz at 6v. Certainly not professional built but that doesn't matter much. Clean it up and get the wires tucked in neatly though. I may be mistaken but it looks like you have a Tamiya to Traxxas to Deans plug adapter. I would replace that with one deans connector. All brushed motors are waterproof but make sure you clean them.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

In my honest opinion it could really be worse. The servo will strip before long, they are stock wheels, tires, body, the esc has no drag brake and no lipo cutoff. So if you are on a hill, it will still roll. The motor and light controller are decent, as is the radio for an entry level radio.

The wiring mess is horrible and i would advise ripping it all out and starting over replacing the servo and esc and going to deans plugs like someone else mentioned.

The reason people are suggesting just deans plugs is they are really a better plug always make sure to put the female end on the battery and male end on the esc. The deans plugs have less resistance than the same length of straight wire so they work very well.

The winch will have to be hooked into the third channel of the receiver in the box and you will have to have the actual winch controller from the look of it. The upside to this is you start out with a decent entry level radio which runs about $114 new according to amain hobbies, which will run the winch providing you have a controller for it.

All of that said, if you picked up a decent metal gear servo and could find a used esc with a drag brake and cleaned up the wiring it would be a decent rig. Also would remove the attachments on the bottom of the axles that look like guards, they will end up getting hung up on a lot of stuff. Would also recommend a BEC from castle creations or the like that way you will get the most out of your servo.

I am by no means a master builder but that's just my two cents.
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpickle View Post
The servo and Esc are definetly not the best and the motor is Ok. The proffesionally built thing he said was bs because of all the loose wires. Looks like my rig.

I've not got stats on that servo but I know that traxxas doesn't make a very high-torque servo. With the winch and tools, depending on what was in the tool box, I beleive you could've gotten a good deal. Although, if the toolbox is full of crap, I would've gotten an rtr.

Also, it would help if I could see some links and the bed of the rig.
What links are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozyint View Post
In my honest opinion it could really be worse. The servo will strip before long, they are stock wheels, tires, body, the esc has no drag brake and no lipo cutoff. So if you are on a hill, it will still roll. The motor and light controller are decent, as is the radio for an entry level radio.

The wiring mess is horrible and i would advise ripping it all out and starting over replacing the servo and esc and going to deans plugs like someone else mentioned.

The reason people are suggesting just deans plugs is they are really a better plug always make sure to put the female end on the battery and male end on the esc. The deans plugs have less resistance than the same length of straight wire so they work very well.

The winch will have to be hooked into the third channel of the receiver in the box and you will have to have the actual winch controller from the look of it. The upside to this is you start out with a decent entry level radio which runs about $114 new according to amain hobbies, which will run the winch providing you have a controller for it.

All of that said, if you picked up a decent metal gear servo and could find a used esc with a drag brake and cleaned up the wiring it would be a decent rig. Also would remove the attachments on the bottom of the axles that look like guards, they will end up getting hung up on a lot of stuff. Would also recommend a BEC from castle creations or the like that way you will get the most out of your servo.

I am by no means a master builder but that's just my two cents.
What do you mean by winch controller? Do you mean I'd need a seprate radio just for the winch or is it something that goes inside the truck?

Thanks everybody for all your help..I'm on another forum for my other hobby (1:1 scale Camaros) so I know it can be a pain answering lots of newbie questions.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #8
RCC Addict

By links I think he means the rods that go from the frame to the axle. Some are plastic and some are metal (aluminum). The aluminum's cost more. It can cost a bit to upgrade a rig from plastic links when you figure in link cost plus the set screws and rod ends. That is simple bolt together easy way or you can make your own. There are many threads in the forums here on options for it and how and what to use.

The winch controller is a small unit with wires coming out of both sides. It is about half the size of the speed control and pretty thin. It has a plug that goes into the reciever and then wires that go to the winch. it is the speed control in essence for the winch. Here is a link to what it should look like:

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/3racr01-27b.htm

If you do not have it I would recommend something made by a forum guy (Heyok). he makes winch controllers that are much better then the stock stuff. They can also be made to fit many of the different radios out there. Some do not work correctly with what the winch needs but Heyoks controllers fix that. I upgraded one of my winches controllers with one of his and will be getting one for any winch I run. Link to his thread on some of his products:

No Drift Winch Controller! (using 3 position transmitter channel)

I would also look into putting the correct plugs on the end of your batteries for the speed control. Plugs can be problematic and having a few in line can be disaster. Frustration to no end. I would go with the deans or the Traxxas ones. I have been running Deans for many years but now like the Traxxas ones better. You speed control has traxxas plugs on it so that would be the easier way to go. If you do not have a soldering iron (a good one) then look into having a local hobby shop solder them on. You can pick up a Weller solder gun a places like Home Depot or Aces hardware. The model D550 is a good one that works well and has easily found replacement tips.

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/we...tguns/d550.htm

The model below that goes through tips quickly (they are thin) and is ok for some rc stuff. But the stronger D550 model is a great buy for a little more $ and a good thing to have if you get full into rc. You will always be soldering stuff from time to time.

Do not worry about the esc. it is not bad and I run one in one of my rigs. It has limitations but works very well and is waterproof. If it goes bad at some point then think of nothing else then:

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...4&cat=2&page=1

There is nothing else that compares for anywhere close in price or for any price for a crawler. Too many reasons to list.

But anyways fix some of the things at some point and beat the rig. then fix and learn. that is what it is all about. And if you do not break stuff from time to time, you are not having enough fun or pushing it.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Don't get a 200watt soldering gun for RC use it's way overkill and unwieldy. A 40-70 watt pencil iron is all you need for soldering wires and plugs. Home Depot should stock some Weller irons in that range. I use a Hakko 936 soldering station which is overkill for just wires and plugs but I do a whole range of electronic repair so it suits me. Do yourself a favor and stay away from radio shack irons unless you want a huge headache.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
Don't get a 200watt soldering gun for RC use it's way overkill and unwieldy. A 40-70 watt pencil iron is all you need for soldering wires and plugs. Home Depot should stock some Weller irons in that range. I use a Hakko 936 soldering station which is overkill for just wires and plugs but I do a whole range of electronic repair so it suits me. Do yourself a favor and stay away from radio shack irons unless you want a huge headache.

I come from the days of comp touring cars where you had to build your own packs. The lower watt Weller didn't cut it but the higher D550 could. It is good to solder quickly without having to hold the iron on the parts for extended time. Yes that Iron can be over kill for small 18 gauge plus, but I would rather have extra power then not enough. Most pencil Irons do not have enough power to properly solder on a deans plug let alone something larger.

Forbid89, You may be correct in what you recommend. I just recommended that one as it is a good choice for something easily available locally in most places. And i find the portability of the Wellers with the case they come with nice. I do have a power inverter capable of running them in m work van so I can use them on the road as well. I used them for years when i ran and and installed car audio as well. Just something I have had good luck with. A good soldering station is definitely the better option, but for an all around one rig deal, the wellers are hard to beat.

Last edited by Rook82; 05-17-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm4192 View Post
What do you mean by winch controller? Do you mean I'd need a seprate radio just for the winch or is it something that goes inside the truck?

Thanks everybody for all your help..I'm on another forum for my other hobby (1:1 scale Camaros) so I know it can be a pain answering lots of newbie questions.
Rook covered the winch controller I was talking about. As to the Newbie questions that's why this part of the forum is here. No one really posts in it if they aren't looking to help someone, unless they are trolls and they don't make it too long. lol Welcome to the world of crawling.

As far as the radio question, you don't need a different radio to control the winch, I would just download the manual for the one you have since it is capable of mixing and it has a 3 position third channel switch which will allow for an out, in, and neutral position for your winch to work off of.
With the mixing you can even set it up so that while you activate that channel it pulls you up as you drive forward so you dont have to try to steer, operate the winch channel and throttle all at the same time. Makes life a whole lot easier from what I have seen.

And just remembered the soldering iron question as well as I was re reading. I also use the old school Weller pencil type gun, works fine but then again depends on how much experience you have soldering. If you get the higher wattage one you can end up melting stuff while getting in the groove of it. But if you get too low of wattage, you can end up getting frustrated during the wait for it to melt just right.

Last edited by ozyint; 05-17-2011 at 06:29 PM.
ozyint is offline   Reply With Quote