Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Looking buy first crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

Default Looking buy first crawler

I have been wanting an rc crawler for a while now, and was just wondering what ppl think are the best deals for the money, I am the kind of person who doesnt like to buy low end products, id rather pay a little more up front and get decent parts, so let me know what u guys think. Also I was looking at this kit here for the xr10 but im just not sure how decent the parts are http://www.jpcustomrcs.com/catalog/i...74/8195327.htm any input on that setup? Is it a good start or would I be replacing some of that stuff quickly?
Thanks guys!
nibriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
RCC Addict

with a little searching there is more than enough info on this site to answer all your questions. start with the XR10 section, that should get you started.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If the class dosen't matter, get a MRC Pro (less than $100 for a roller) and go from there.
You would need to add a radio, ESC (speed control, get used like an FX-r), servo (like a hitec 645), and motor.....(a number of options, but used is cheaper.

An advantage of the 1.9 wheel class......if you do decent, you can do better in any other class.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would start with an Axial rig, plenty models to choose from
and a huge selection of replacement and hop-up parts.

I'm still running Axial axles from one of the first AX-10 kits
that came out along time ago...never had any problems.
jeepster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #5

Would This kit be a good one to start with and upgrade from? Or would you be better off with something else?
kruza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If you are looking at the XR10 (which is what I am running), I would recommend getting new gears for it. This is the Achilles heal of the rig. Next, I would get some wheel weights (Vanquish or Crawler Innovations). These two things are what I would buy with the kit if I was buying it all over again.

I still have the stocks gears and weights as I am low on funds, but as soon as the money allows, my next upgrades will definitely be Axial machined heavy duty gears and gear plate, and Vanquish brass wheel weights.
Mides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruza View Post
Would This kit be a good one to start with and upgrade from? Or would you be better off with something else?
Which kit? If you mean the XR10, people are having plenty of luck with it- minus the gears. Get them sorted (RC4WD make some nice ones for $40 per set), then you have increased reliability in it many times over. Don't let it roll down a cliff and you'll be sweet*.

*Probably not. You'll find another thing to break.
Mides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Alot of us on here could go on forever about the different types and purposes for the crawlers.

I think what would help us out is letting us know what you want to do with the crawler.

Let us know that then we will be better able to lead you in the right direction.

If you want to be competitive then you will end up spending a lot more money. If you want to just have a great time and crawl, then you will be able to get a crawler that is less $$ but still be able to do what you want.

Dan
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #9

I will be doing mostly recreational messing around but I can almost guarantee there will be the occational competition as well tho, I go to the calrocs competitions and will will probably enter the rc comps they hold at these, I want a rig I can have fun with, compete in (not at an extreme level) and not be breaking things all the time, im pretty positive the xr10 will be my base and just upgrade the weaker stuff as I go
nibriel is offline   Reply With Quote