Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: RC Car Action TLT Crawler - your opinions please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #1

Default RC Car Action TLT Crawler - your opinions please

Hi everyone,

I'm newbie looking to make my first TLT crawler. I know that there are some custom chassis' out there that I can order however I was wondering what you guys thought about RC Car Actions conversion of the TLT. The link can be found here:

http://www.rccaraction.com/online_ex/tltrockclimber.asp

Could some of you please provide me with your opinion on how capable you would think this 'Ultimate TLT Rock Crawler' is (cough) and tell me what it is you would do in addition to, or not at all as described by the writer of the article?

I'm happy to go forward with his guide and the only real gripe I have with it is that he keeps the existing centre diff and the stock shocks (which I would look to replace if I were to build it)

Other than that the Jeep Rubicon body looks great in the picture at the beginning of the article!!

thanks in advance,

Crimsonn
Crimsonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2006, 09:04 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Its not bad, Some good info for someone new to the hobby but its deffinetlly not the "ultimate" crawler.

Check out this link also. http://www.orcrc.com/tech.htm lots of good info here to.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

It's more of a rock-capable basher. The stock belt drive isn't up to the demands of crawling, and will skip like crazy when you start crawling. Look around here for some stock-chassis tranny swaps. There are a couple of nice clean builds using Losi or AE trannies that will solve all those nasty belt problems, and get rid of the dogbones that RCCA uses. Fact of life: dogbones fall out, and looking for them is less fun than crawling. Using an older Losi trans will let you use Pede sliders, and I've seen Maxx sliders adapted to the AE Stealth trans without much trouble.

The RCCA build is a good starting point, but it's far from Ultimate. We haven't discovered the Ultimate TLT yet, but we're working on it.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

do a serce for about bout a month ago. we talked about this. the goat has a nice frame i think. but bender has a nicer one. hahaha hehehe j/k goat
blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

It's a start!:? Do a little snooping around here in the TLT section. TONS of useful TLT info. READ the "sticky" threads! Enough info to explode your brain! Good luck!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

and always slisten to dez hes one of the smartest dude on here.
blazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:55 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed
and always slisten to dez hes one of the smartest dude on here.
Yeah right! When it comes to TLT's I'm barely better than a nOOb, but thanks for the vote of confidence.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 11:25 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

its not bad but its not great.
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I built one and followed the directions to a tee. I was highly disappointed with it, the clearance was a major issue even with the masher 2000's. I locked the center diff with jb weld and it helped but then I quickly bought a Pede tranny after the belt started skipping. Its all show and no go!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:57 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I built one that was very similar. The truck turned out to be a good basher but not a crawler. The belt skips under load and the truck is top heavy. I have not had any issues with the dog bones falling out though. If you are on a very tight budget it is not a bad way to go for your first truck as long as you purchase electronics that can be re-used when you upgrade. One of mine was upgraded to having a pede tranny, new shocks and a different frame. The original upgrade got me into crawling and taught me what I did not want in a truck.
tkruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:54 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Defentally an easy way to get started. The problem is the belt drive. I just put a lathe in my tlt and already anihilated a belt, now I dont have a basher to drive.
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote