Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Worth it?

I want to do a TLT project, but can only afford the kit right now. Not even a servo and motor to get it going.

I do have a JR 2 channel radio and receiver that I could maybe sell for a lower quality futaba rx/tx and servo.

For some reason I can't post a wanted add (freezes while trying to send to admin maybe?)

Oh well... just wondering if I should try a tlt since I am still semi-new to crawling, or get a 1/18 nylint and go hg items (have a 1/6 waiting for parts)

Thanks for replies.
gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I think a TLT would be fine to start with, as long as you are comfortable with building a kit and such. But, I would really save up so you can at least have all the goods you'll need to get it up and running from the start. Maybe you can find a good deal on eBay to get you started.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Get the kit. These things are money pits, and they're never done. As soon as you think you've got it as good as it can possibly be, somebody comes along with a new design that blows you away and then you get to thinking on a whole new track.

But it all starts with the TLT kit.

And there's always somebody selling a servo, ESC, motor, etc either in the FS forum or on ePay. Having the axles built will give you a starting point. Then eBay the body (an easy $15) and the center diff parts (ditto) wheels & tires (again) and that TLT kit just paid for a Pede tranny.

I wouldn't bother with the Nylint. The TLT will be a lot more rewarding in the long run.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #4

Not sure where you are ordering your kit from, but www. ultimatehobbies.com has the rockbuster kit for $79.95 and FREE ground shipping..
STi04' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:07 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

ultimate hobbies is where I will order from... now I have to wait for fathers day though but I don't mind... will give me time to save up for other pieces.

Maybe I should sell my JR radio and pick up a futaba or something that comes with 1 or 2 servos? I think one of the futaba deals at tower gives a std servo and a high torque? that way I could put the HT in front and std in back?
for now I guess I play with my sons nylint and get some ideas

I am just worried that the wife will get me a 1/18th nylint
Old 05-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If you are trying to scrape the money together, I say sell the radio and pick up a T or E maxx radio, You can pick one up for 20 to 30 bucks here or on e-bay if you watch for a little while I've seen one's go up for sale w/ receiver and servos for around $30. Everyone that buy's RTR nitro's seems to sell these radios and get better ones. For crawling it is not needed, half the guys in the colorado winter series use the TQ 3 with good results, and if it gets dropped or stepped on you won't want to scream. Good luck with the build and show us some pics when you get her finished!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

ya, I think I am going to do just that. Sold my 18t tonight, putting that in bank for a trip to florida, but for fathers day, gonna ask for a tlt kit from UH and sell my controller and I should come out 10-20 on top after getting a tq3, just enough for at least one hi torque servo

I figure I can make all the links myself, so the next big money drop will be in a tranny and drive line out

Since I don't run in competitions and just enjoy simple crawls in my backyard or in the house, I think the tlt will suit me fine near stock until I get serious.

Thanks for the help all.