Notices

Thread: First rig question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 02:49 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default First rig question

hey yeah another thread lol.

but wondering
1. is the 1/18th scale Thunder tiger crawler any good?
theirs one at a local hobby store. RTR 2.4ghz radio.
it Seams alright, body is very flimsy but that's fairly easy to change. but are is the other stuff any good for a first crawler?

2. with designing a crawler frame.. more of a scale rig then comp crawler looking thing. __ __
does it matter to much? as in make like a \__/ Type frame. and mount everything right, but how do i know where the shocks/links should go?

3. should i scratch build one?

i believe that i could make a frame quite easily, just the Designing part is got me stumped at the moment.

thanks (:
Liighthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Im not familiar with the crawler you mentioned so can't help with that. As for building a chassis, I started out by cheating. Just get the specs on a chassis you like then make adjustments to your liking. Just don't sell them because its copyright infringement. Scale rigs use the __ __ type chassis because they are realistic. Competition rigs use the \__/ type chassis because they are smaller and allow more suspension travel. Good luck and remember to research what others are doing with home design chassis.
rc_pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:08 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Scratch building your first crawler, unless you have a lot of fabrication experience, is going to be an excersise in frustration and difficulty.

While I don't have any experience with the 1/18 scale you mentioned I do know that most of the smaller crawlers have difficulty with real world terrain.

For plug and play grinning-from-ear-to-ear fun pickup and SCX kit. You'll learn all about it putting it together, and Axial has already done the R&D as far as chassis design and link placement.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I can tell just by the picture your answer should be no. That thing as built would need so many mods to be reasonably crawlable it's ridiculous. Way to high centered, bad geometry, etc.

Scratch building can be done but takes some skill.

Your best bet to get RTR is an Axial AX10 RTC or a Losi Nightcrawler. Both good capable rigs with support. If you plan to compete look at MOA like an Axial XR10 or a Berg.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Or you could even be cheap and get a redcat!

Lot of people here have them and have had good luck with them. Just remember that its Not an Axial or berg by any means.

But dont discount the fact that with the proper tuning (and more importantly the proper driver) it can crawl just as much as anyone else.

Justin
WILDMAN442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_pimp View Post
Im not familiar with the crawler you mentioned so can't help with that. As for building a chassis, I started out by cheating. Just get the specs on a chassis you like then make adjustments to your liking. Just don't sell them because its copyright infringement. Scale rigs use the __ __ type chassis because they are realistic. Competition rigs use the \__/ type chassis because they are smaller and allow more suspension travel. Good luck and remember to research what others are doing with home design chassis.
thats a good idea about the chassis. will see what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Scratch building your first crawler, unless you have a lot of fabrication experience, is going to be an excersise in frustration and difficulty.

While I don't have any experience with the 1/18 scale you mentioned I do know that most of the smaller crawlers have difficulty with real world terrain.

For plug and play grinning-from-ear-to-ear fun pickup and SCX kit. You'll learn all about it putting it together, and Axial has already done the R&D as far as chassis design and link placement.
i do kinder.. i dont have axcess to a welder ( only soldering iron :/ ) and pop riverts lol. but was thinking of just bending square tubing or making a small bracket for each cornor if bending didnt work.

i have been looking at the axial kits ect and would love one. exept only got $200 - $300 budget atm. and they are $500+ :O

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post

I can tell just by the picture your answer should be no. That thing as built would need so many mods to be reasonably crawlable it's ridiculous. Way to high centered, bad geometry, etc.

Scratch building can be done but takes some skill.

Your best bet to get RTR is an Axial AX10 RTC or a Losi Nightcrawler. Both good capable rigs with support. If you plan to compete look at MOA like an Axial XR10 or a Berg.
thats the one. and yeah seams really top heavy, fell over sideways when i sat it on the cash register n got it to flex.. but yeah. 1st thought was to move everything onto the axels, but didnt have a good look around it to see what could move ect..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDMAN442 View Post
Or you could even be cheap and get a redcat!

Lot of people here have them and have had good luck with them. Just remember that its Not an Axial or berg by any means.

But dont discount the fact that with the proper tuning (and more importantly the proper driver) it can crawl just as much as anyone else.

Justin
mm ill have a look around and see what models i could get in Redcat, hopfully get down to the hobby shop today. and see what he has.

umm but yeah, little brother got a $20 RC car from some shop yesterday ( mum got 2 for me to drive around with him haha. he loves it ) but it has a pretty good jeep body ( 1/20th scale acording to the box. ) was thinking about building something around that body.

but i gotta goto the hobby shop pretty soon, turning servo in my Ishima rave died yesterday :/ the cord somehow got wraped around the drive shaft :O! even though it was cable tied in >.< ah well.

thanks everyone btw

also i was looking at building something about the 1/20th scale because it would be cheaper and i dont have alot of room to crawl. unless go down to the national park ( 5min drive, but dont have a car :( ). so pretty much want to make a smallISH track out the back and yeah but got that all set out in my head. just gotta get a crawler 1st then can start that.

Last edited by Liighthead; 06-14-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Liighthead is offline   Reply With Quote