Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scx10 Kit Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2011, 07:18 AM   #1

Default Scx10 Kit Build

Hey, Just wanted a little help choosing what electronics to buy for a scx10 kit. I need a motor, esc, servo, battery, radio, and transmitter. I want to make a scale crawler that looks and feels realistic. Id like a lipo battery and if its possible Id like to be able to have it crawl realistic then change the gear to make it decently fast as well. as for the servo, radio. and transmitter I don't have any idea what to choose.

Any suggestions? Thanks
JohnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I'm no expert but here's my take. There's some good stuff to be had if you order it out of the US, but usually shipping is a fortune unless you can get it shipped USPS. I've usually stuck with stuff that the local shops can get in.

I'm partial to spektrum stuff because it was readily available. I like it though, easy to set-up, I can use any of the receivers with my trucks or my son's. I have a DX3R and I just picked up a DX3C for my son. How many channels do you think you'll use? Throttle, steering, winch, lights ...... I went for 3 because I wanted the 3rd channel for a dig. I didn't plan on getting a winch or controlling lights. Futaba also looks really nice but I've never used one. They have a 4 channel which looks pretty sweet.

As for speed controllers, if you're going to stick with 2S I'd go for a tekin. They are small and work well. I had thought about using the FXR with a 35 turn motor and finding a smaller spur gear to keep the speed the same as the stock 27 turn, but have a rebuildable motor. You could go brushless Castle creations MMP or Tekin RS. I think it depends how waterproof you want to be. Hopefully someone else can comment on which would be better (brushed/brushless) for waterproofing.

I'm running the hitec 645 servo on my son's truck. It works well and has enough torque. The price is right for it too. I'm using a 7955 on my rock crawler which has lots of torque but more money.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

For your radio gear a dx3r or a 4pl would be great choices. I think they are pretty close in price, and the futaba is a 4 channel radio. I have both, I run the 4pl on my scx10 and my xr10. For power, there are tons of options too. The fxr's are super small and work great. I run a br-xl waterproof version with a 45t motor from Holmes hobby. For your servo, you will want a decent amount of torque, and there are plenty of great choices. I would also suggest a cms( chassis mounted servo) kit which will move the servo off the axle and add to your scale realism. Also look at 4 link setups as well. You should browse the scx10 specific forum on here and look at the builds to see what everyone is using/or has an opinion on.
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

a good 35-45 turn motor with a 3s lipo will give you the best of both worlds. Slow control when you want it and wheel speed when you punch it. The difference in control over a cheap "can" is huge.

Holmes Hobbies has (had?) a sale on prototype waterprof ESCs for $60. Heck of a deal for a ESC with a tremendous reputation, and Holmes motors are also top-notch.

As for the rest of the gear, depends on your budget and whether you want top quality or "good enough". I run a GT3B radio that was $35 from HobbyPartz. The 3rd channel is only two position, but overall the radio works great.

I also use a HobbyPartz coreless servo for now. Doesn't have the speed and power of top quality servos, but for $15 its a great deal and does the job. They also have great deals on GensAce Lipos as well.
Mud Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:41 PM   #5

Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone, I think I'm going to go with a holmes hobbies motor along with a torque master br-lx waterproof esc, but which motor would be best to go with? And also would brushless be a good idea if I don't mind spending the extra money? As for the servo it doesnt seem like it matters much and I think Ill just do with a cheap traxxas 2 channel radio to start out.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I actually asked JRH about which motor would work well, and he suggested a torquemaster series 45T with the BR-XL for a SCX build I am doing.
LDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDogg View Post
I actually asked JRH about which motor would work well, and he suggested a torquemaster series 45T with the BR-XL for a SCX build I am doing.
That's what I'm really leaning towards, wouldn't it be a good idea to change the gear a little though?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

As for speed controllers, if you're going to stick with 2S I'd go for a tekin. They are small and work well. I had thought about using the FXR with a 35 turn motor and finding a smaller spur gear to keep the speed the same as the stock 27 turn, but have a rebuildable motor. You could go brushless Castle creations MMP or Tekin RS. I think it depends how waterproof you want to be. Hopefully someone else can comment on which would be better (brushed/brushless) for waterproofing.
I thought only brushed motors were water proof? and then theres brushless sensorless which was also water proof.
Roman5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBeGood View Post
Thanks for the help and suggestions everyone, I think I'm going to go with a holmes hobbies motor along with a torque master br-lx waterproof esc, but which motor would be best to go with? And also would brushless be a good idea if I don't mind spending the extra money? As for the servo it doesnt seem like it matters much and I think Ill just do with a cheap traxxas 2 channel radio to start out.
Actually, the servo is pretty important when you go crawling or trailing. Get a servo with a decent torque rating but don't go too expensive if you plan on waterproofing your servo.
Jeykito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I initally assmbled by SCX with a Hitec 645mg, but found that it wasn't quite enough torque while doing serious crawling. It was fine for trail work as long as you were moving. So to replace it I ordered a Hitec 7954SH off of Ebay for $80, most expensive part on the truck, but I already have one in my AX-10 and it turns so hard that if your bound up it will just swing the rear of the truck around. Steering control seems underated, until you don't have it.

Radio is mostly driver preference, just make sure it is 2.4ghz. Running a FlySky GT3B for several of my RC's and am very happy for the money. Only bummer is that if you get the reciever antennae more than a couple inches under water it won't work.

Sensored brushless is nice for trail riding, but doesn't fair well with water.

Using a Castle SV2 speed controller. Ebay specials can be found for under $50. You have to have the Castle Link to reprogram it to work with a brushed motor, but other than that it works wonderfully. A little on the large side, but super smooth startup and strong drag brake.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I have ran a hitech 645mg on both of my scx's for over a year. Have yet to have an issue. As long as you aren't planning on piling on the pounds it has more than enough torque. And like said before you can find them dirt cheap. I run 645 servo, FXR, ccbec, 35t motor and a mx3 radio on both. Now a heavy rig or comp rig needs more oomph. My willys is getting an FXR, 45t, xr4 receiver and a hitech 7950 because I need that mass torque for a 12-15lbs rig.

Last edited by calikingcrawler; 06-28-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: I can't spell
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I went for realism when I built my scx10 and this is what I ended up with. It drives like the real thing.

Servo: Mid-level Hitec
Battery: 2s Hyperion LiPo
Motor: Tekin 45T
ESC: Tekin FXR
Radio and transmitter: Futaba 3PM-X
Also be sure to buy a Castle BEC
BadRockNoCookie is offline   Reply With Quote