Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Choice for ESC or ESC motor combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Default Choice for ESC or ESC motor combo

I need to replace my ESC on my AX10, I'm having a tough time choosing between, Tekin FXR or CC Sidewinder SV2? and for motors, Tekin FXR or HHTorqueMaster Expert 540 ? Your opinions on both and why? sorry if I should have posted this in Newb since I am
fivepointnine98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Id go with the fxr/hotwire and the torqumaster or crawlmaster pro 540.

The fxr is a awesome esc and very versatile with the hotwire and just can't go wrong with a HH,got me a crawlmaster pro540 handwound and couldn't be happier.
Mr. crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
Official Cook of the ECC

Well the Tekin is brushed only where as the CC is brushless as well which makes it much more versatile than the FXR despite what ^^he^^ said..

Tekin needs the Hotwire to unlock all the features available I believe and that adds to the cost. CC needs a Castle Link to get full functionality from the SV2 as well. The Castle Link is cheaper than the Hotwire though plus it will be needed to adjust the Castle BEC which is pretty much mandatory on a comp rig.

The SV2 is cheaper as well right now it seems.

FXR is quite a bit smaller though.

Just from what I have seen it seems that the SV2 has a little more headroom than the Tekin unit.

I personally run all Castle or Holmes Hobbies ESC's. I have owned and still own Mamba25's, numerous Sidewinders, and numerous Mamba Max ESC's. Never a failure. Never personally owned an FXR.

I would run the HH motor over the Tekin unit personally.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

While there's probably nothing inherently wrong with any of the equipment you've asked about, if you've already got the HH motor on the table, I dont know why the BR-XL wouldn't also be. I was thinking about Axial's AE-2 when it was coming out, but I think if the cash ever hits the table, there'd be a very good likelyhood of just going HH combo.

I used some Tekin stuff back in the late 80's, and had very good luck with them. Don't know if their newer stuff is as good, but I'd be willing to take a gamble on the brand.

Best of luck with your decision.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:00 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies, Trubble the only reason is for the moneys i can get any of the other combos for about 40 dollars less but trust me it is on the table depending on what i hear here. Any other advise is always appreciated.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #6

Scattman, I am leaning towards the CC for those same reasons but i don't think i will be running brushless any time soon and doesn't both of those esc have cuttoff built in? im still new to this so why would i need a external bec? Thanks again for all the quick responses.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine98 View Post
Scattman, I am leaning towards the CC for those same reasons but i don't think i will be running brushless any time soon and doesn't both of those esc have cuttoff built in? im still new to this so why would i need a external bec? Thanks again for all the quick responses.
Both have LVC's built in.

The external BEC is needed because the onboard BEC's in both the ESC's are weak. They just don't supply the amperage(or voltage really) to really make a strong servo perform to it's fullest potential. They may only supply a couple amps to the servo if you are running 3S lipo in your rig.(the higher your input voltage to the ESC, the less amperage it will supply in it's onbard BEC which is what powers the servo) Adding the Castle BEC will let you adjust the voltage going to the servo while providing ample amperage to the servo as well.

Now, the Holmes BR-XL has a muuuuch better onboard BEC than the Tekin or SV2 that may keep you from needing an external BEC depending on servo used. Something to think about when considering price. I still run the external BEC though when running a BR-XL since I run my servo at 7.6 volts.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Scatt, are you running your BEC direct to your servo or still running it through your esc? Sorry for stealing the thread. CC is pretty good as I have a mamba max in my crawler, only thing is it's pretty big compared to the fxr.
Jeykito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeykito View Post
Scatt, are you running your BEC direct to your servo or still running it through your esc? Sorry for stealing the thread. CC is pretty good as I have a mamba max in my crawler, only thing is it's pretty big compared to the fxr.
Some Spectrum rec's are known to have issues with pulling that much power through them, mine included. When I was running a Spectrum receiver I ran the power(red and black) from the BEC straight to the servo. Then the signal wire from the servo to the rec. I leave the red wire in on the ESC so it will power the receiver.

Now that I am running the 4PL, I run the BEC straight to the receiver. I am running 7.8 volts through it with a 7950. I remove the red wire from the ESC plug since the rec now gets its power from the BEC. I have had no issues with this setup.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the reply!! I'm running a 4pk but wanting to go to a 3s lipo. I'm going to have to run the BEC direct to servo with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
Some Spectrum rec's are known to have issues with pulling that much power through them, mine included. When I was running a Spectrum receiver I ran the power(red and black) from the BEC straight to the servo. Then the signal wire from the servo to the rec. I leave the red wire in on the ESC so it will power the receiver.

Now that I am running the 4PL, I run the BEC straight to the receiver. I am running 7.8 volts through it with a 7950. I remove the red wire from the ESC plug since the rec now gets its power from the BEC. I have had no issues with this setup.
Jeykito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeykito View Post
Thanks for the reply!! I'm running a 4pk but wanting to go to a 3s lipo. I'm going to have to run the BEC direct to servo with this.
I run 3s and 4S lipo in my comp rig with the BEC at 7.8 through the Futaba rec.