Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: To grese od not to grease?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default To grese od not to grease?

Im a total newbie to crawling but have been into rc's for 20 years. I bought a Losi night crawler and have beat the crap out of it for the last 6 months (esc died & replaced xl-5 2075 servo)and enjoyed it very much. My question is do I grease it like my other cars (drive shafts , spur gear, ect.) Being that it sees alot of mud and water. Ive been using marine grease for the spur gear and drive shaft ends but Im afraid of dirt mixing with grease and causing wear. My other question is axle maintentance. Should I take it apart to check or add grease to it? I appreciate any help.
dolphenwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I use grease like its air. i use it everywhere! inside the axle housing i pack it full, and in the transmission box i use alot of grease, but not pack it full. any where there is a bearing i usualy grease in the hubs.

I dont ever grease the spur gear, never had a problem on any vehical to where i needed too. just make sure your gear mesh is right and should be fine on that part.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

take the axles apart and grease them, they need alot of it. the trans and other gears do need greased, all that does is make more friction for the motor to overcome
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
take the axles apart and grease them, they need alot of it. the trans and other gears do need greased, all that does is make more friction for the motor to overcome
Yes, but do not grease the spur gear! Just inside the tranny and axles only!!! The worm gears need lots of grease and frequent checking.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, but do not grease the spur gear! Just inside the tranny and axles only!!! The worm gears need lots of grease and frequent checking.
x2, NEVER grease a spur, but I grease everything else, and yes worms lov the grase!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote