Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Ax10 rtr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #1

Default Ax10 rtr

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=white]Okay I was on here awhile back asking about which one to get but things got tossed to the side with a baby on the way and new car and house reno's so now I think I have made my decision and I'm going to go with the AX10 scorpion RTR over the trail honcho RTR just for the fact of the extra ground clearance and the backyard bash ability’s even though both are good for it I am just leaning toward the AX10. Now the hobby shop I am ordering from is about an hours drive away so I would like to order what I need all at once. I will be going with the RTR so mostly every thing will be there anyway but I would like to upgrade the battery and charger for shorter changes and longer run times. This is all I will be upgrading, maybe tires down the road but for now just the battery, can some one please give me a good option as I have very little experience with hobby grade RC's all I have is a losi micro crawler which I love and bring to work an night shifts haha and a losi micro highroller. Anyway any help would be great. Also I'm in Canadaif that helps.

Last edited by valleyguy; 08-03-2011 at 10:52 AM.
valleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

1st- Welcome to the hobby. I have lots of hobbies and this is probably my favorite.

2nd- Just my input but I think you may be a bit happier with the Honcho rtr. I feel that it is a better out of the box capable rig. With the scorpion rtr, there are a lot of things that you wil be wanting to upgrade as soon as you drive it the 1st time. I know several people that still run a stock Honcho and love it. They haven't upgraded anything. The honcho is a great rtr rig. It will take a beating better than the ax10 rtr, imo.

Please get what you want. I was just letting you know what I think.

3rd- I would check out the Wraith. It is sweet.

4th- If you want to upgrade what battery you use, make sure the speed controller(esc) can handle a lipo battery. I think you would be better off with that upgrade. Also get a charger that will charge lipos as well. I use the Onyx 230(maybe the 240), I can't remember.

I hope this helps. I know others wil be willing to help as well. Let us know what you end up with.

Dan
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 PM   #3

Long story short the two hobby shops somewhat near me don't even carry axial to my amazment just losi and hpi for crawlers, and after a little more research today I did decide on the trail honcho and I'm going to order it from great hobbies..299.00 for the RTR so if you guys have any advise on a good battery and a charger for that let me know.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Try The Crawler Store. They have the AX10 TR for $284.99.

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/Axial-SCX...2-p-17878.html

Or try RPP hobby. They have it for 299.99. I have dealt with them before and they are very good.

http://www.rpphobby.com/axial_scx10_p/ax90016.htm

Amainhobbies is another great company to order from. Right now any order over $100 is free shipping. Honcho kit rtr... $289.99 FREE SHIPPING!!!!!

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-Trail-Ready

I have not dealt with great hobbies before so I'm not sure about their business. I know these others and they have been great to work with.

Just trying to save you money and get you dealing with companies we all deal with regularly. Hope this helps.

Dan
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:59 AM   #5

A friend of mine ordered a venom kit from them (great hobbies) and it showed up the same week and cost about 7 bucks to ship and that was insured as well. I'll probally give them a try and see what happens. I thought they came with a battery but I guess they don't so I guess I'll just buy a decent one when I order the honcho, can it handle a lipo on stock electronics or should I just stick with NiMH I literly know nothing about the battery packs.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've got the kit SCX so I don' t know about the RTR esc but my friend bought the RTR and he used a 2200 or was it 2300 Nimah and it was good for a 30-40 min run. if you're not changing your esc and your not familiar with LiPos yet i think you should run with NIMH just to be safe. Lipos without the proper charging or going below the required voltage can be dangerous.
Jeykito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #7

I thought I read somewhere that the new honcho with the 2.4 had rundown protection for liPos? maybe not. Is there a way to get some more run time outta of it with the Nimah 30 mins sounds like a good amount of run time but I'm sure after a little bit I would want to try new lines or something and be mostly outta battery...I guess I could get 2 battery's. I know my micro highroller takes about 3 hours to charge is that what I can expect for charge times with the bigger batteries. I aprreciate all the help with the noobie questions as I know it gets repeatitive after awhile.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:26 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I think you are talking about the newer AE-2 esc that has a low voltage cutoff for lipos. valleyguy, i would suggest you get another charger, most of the time charging a battery at 1C (the recommended charge rate for many batteries) it takes around an hour to charge rather than the 3 hours you are getting now.
forbid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbid89 View Post
valleyguy, i would suggest you get another charger, most of the time charging a battery at 1C (the recommended charge rate for many batteries) it takes around an hour to charge rather than the 3 hours you are getting now.
Just noticed that great hobbies is out of stock but I found a great deal at Tower Hobbies for a combo pack that comes with a battery and charger and the batteries for the remote. How are they to deal with? because I'm going to order it today before they run out.

The charger for the micro highroller is the one that came with it just the standard wall plug that only works with that battery. So I will be buying a charger as well. So are the 7.2 sticks all mostly the same or is there something about them that I should be looking at.

Last edited by valleyguy; 08-04-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Tower may not always have the best price on an item but they are reliable and have good cs. You can't go wrong ordering from them.
SINister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #11

Ordered the honcho today. Should be here in a week or two, now the waiting game. But that gives me time to set up my indoor and outdoor trails. The wife will be pleased haha. Thanks everyone for the info and help I'm sure I'll have a video up when I get it. Most likley on the trail with our full size rigs.