Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First Must have upgrades for RTR Axial Honcho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Question First Must have upgrades for RTR Axial Honcho

I just ordered my first Rc crawler and it should be arriving on thursday. It is a RTR Axial Honcho. Im wanting to know what are some of the first upgrades I should do. Im not trying to comp crawler. Im really about the scale look. Just want some advice since im new to the crawling game. Thanks
BIGMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
RCC Addict

start with the tranny gears, c-hubs , knuckles. go into he SCX10 section theres alot of free upgrades also.
research is your friend
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #3

Yeah i have been doing lots of looking around on forums. I just Havent seen anything bout the first must have upgrades. Ill check into the tranny gears and C-hubs. Thanks for your Help!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
I joined the Band!

the biggest MUST it mips metal drive shafts! that is the biggest MUST have! if not youll shread plastic after plastic
crawlinnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #5

I have heard that. Thanks I will pick those up now. Is it a must to update my esc to one with a drag brake? And can the stock esc run a 2cell lipo? Thanks
Old 08-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Upgrade what breaks for you. There are no must haves, different people tend to break different things. I have never had an issue with c-hubs or knuckles in 2.5 years of owning an SCX. The first thing for me was the shafts, then it moved to the tranny gears, then to the front diff gear, then to the spur gear.

Some people run stock RTR SCX's with no issues. It just all depends on the owner, their driving style, and terrain.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Aluminum links was my best first upgrade when I got the honcho.
jray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #8

Thanks. Im getting the shafts for sure first. how do u guys like the esc. Whats its battery capability?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Upgrade what breaks for you. There are no must haves, different people tend to break different things. I have never had an issue with c-hubs or knuckles in 2.5 years of owning an SCX. The first thing for me was the shafts, then it moved to the tranny gears, then to the front diff gear, then to the spur gear.

Some people run stock RTR SCX's with no issues. It just all depends on the owner, their driving style, and terrain.
X2, fix what breaks. theres alot of upgrades you can do "just because". i comp mine and i'm still running stock Chubs, knuckles, and beleive it or not drive shafts, with a tekin fxr and 45t combo.
stick-boy-rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:

stock shafts break on ANY scaler you put more wheel speed than a comper and put it in worse conditions. shafts are the MUST HAVE
crawlinnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #11
Nope..

I put in a Velineon and 3S and somehow I spun the idler gear before the stock driveshafts went. I replaced the gear and turned the driveshafts into plastic Twizzlers though.

That being said, I'm with the "just driving it until it breaks" crowd. Buuut, I have a few trucks. So having one down isn't a big deal. If this is your only crawler, I'd recommend these to ensure a decent amount of time before downtime carnage..

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/scorpion.html

Get part 1542 and 1541. Don't even waste your time with 1540. And then get these.

http://www.tcscrawlers.com/MIP-CVD-S...6-p-18175.html

After that, you should be able to beat the hell out of it until you toast a C hub or a knuckle. Make sure to use loctite on the driveshafts and make sure to use some shrink wrap on the driveshafts where the pin sits. I didn't do that the first time.. Hope that helps!
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I say steering, get solid links and scoop you up some traxxas steal yokes and shafts for the parts box and you should be good
pook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #13

Wow! Lots of good info. Thanks guys. Im getting my list together. I got some money to spend!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinnTN View Post
stock shafts break on ANY scaler you put more wheel speed than a comper and put it in worse conditions. shafts are the MUST HAVE
Maybe for you but mileage varies by person. I know of plenty using the stockers and comping them. It all depends on how you drive.

People can spend a fortune buying other peoples must haves and never address the real issues they themselves have. I have built many RC's following that philosophy over the last 10 years and it's the wrong way to go.

I now never upgrade unless it breaks or unless it's just something I like and want.

Many people do well with the stampede shaft upgrade, I did not and went to MIP's.

I have never broken steering knuckles or c-hubs, but know others who have.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Id start off with m.i.p. driveshafts, robinson racing transmission gears2 ea. super soft axial scx springs, front. Rear springs soft axial scx. A 12 tooth pinion gear pinion. Thats it for a starters. Replace the servo (with a killer one you wont have to replace again or get a alum. servo saver.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

get some alluminum Y's if you dont go 4 link my dad broke 3 of 'em in one night
LUNAticCrawlingCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Upgrade what breaks for you. There are no must haves, different people tend to break different things.
I dont have a honcho, but this is some great advice.
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Default Re: First Must have upgrades for RTR Axial Honcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlinnTN View Post
I disagree. I ran my stock shafts for over a year and didn't break one. I twisted it alittle but that was it. Be smart about you wheeling and they will do great. The way the break is if your wheel is completely stuck and you keep pulling the trigger. Don't wheel stupid and they will last. Now I'm not saying "no you'll never need or want them" but I am saying its definaly not the first upgrade. C hubs and knuckles also not even near the top of the list. If you want more steering, the get new hi clearance knuckles. Cvd's will be needed if you want more steering with the hi clearance knuckles. Alum links are great. They are one of the first bought upgrades id do because it makes you suspension more cosistant. Also top of my list would be a better servo (200oz of torque minumum). Dependeing on your terrain, tires would be a first for me but only if the stocks don't seen to be doing well in your terrain. Wheel weights is a first for me. Shock oil change for alittle thicker oil. Suspension is the biggest thing to play with if you want it to wheel good. Is also sand/water proof all electronics, axles (bearings) and trans. Metal gears in the trans is a waste of money. I comped my swx ax10 for 3 years on stock gears with soft rover tires. Your spin a spur gear way before trans gears. BIGGEST thing to remember, you start beefing up parts, the weekest link is gonna break and make sure the weakest link is cheap and easy to fix.

All in all its your rig and build it the way you want. You'll get people saying upgrade when it breaks but why? Why run a truck that isn't at its full potential? You can take a pinto to the daytona 500 and say "we'll up grade it as it breaks". For me, I upgraded everything first that would help the performance; shock tuning, tires, links, motor (not esc), hi clear knuckles, cvd's, 4 link front and rear, drive lines (after mine got beat up from the rocks).

The best and first upgrade and I do mean the biggest... WHEEL TIME! Drive in and drive it cause the only way to get good is practice. You have to "upgrade" yourself.
muddinscx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post

HALF PRICE! MIP CVD Spline Axial Scorpion #09136*-*Driveline Parts: Driveshafts and driveshaft parts*-*-By Truck: Axial AX10 Scorpion, SCX10, Honcho*-*The Crawlers Store LLC

After that, you should be able to beat the hell out of it until you toast a C hub or a knuckle. Make sure to use loctite on the driveshafts and make sure to use some shrink wrap on the driveshafts where the pin sits. I didn't do that the first time.. Hope that helps!
That is a SMOKING deal on those MIP's. (Quite a bit cheaper than my cost on them.) Going to have to check out TCS' site more!
tocsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

do the scorpian ones fit the honcho?
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote