Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: tire scale size

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default tire scale size

I have a newb Question with tires. So just cause you have a 1.9 scale rig which is based off the tires why does it change to a 2.2 scale rig cause ya change the tire. I mean technically it's still a 1.9 rig. As I compare it to real life. I have a samurai in real life and debating whether or not to run 39" tires on it. It doesn't change the class in real life still a samurai. Why does it not seem to "scale" just cause ya put bigger tires on, there are folks that run big ol tires in 1:1 so techniquely it'd still be scale? Or have I just thought to much? Cause techniquely my R/c would be to scale of my actual samurai by puttin 2.2's to represent my real life mods to my actual samurai.
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Its still scale but its not in the same class. 1.5,1.9, and 2.2 are just categories. the different sizes have different capabilities and looks. just because you change from 1.5 to 1.9 or whatever doesnt change the scale of the rig if its a 1/10 or 1/8 or whatever.
the_ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
RCC Addict

It is because the 1.9 vs 2.2 vs 1.5 is based on the wheel diameter, that is how crawlers are typically based. Most common vehicle size is 1/10 or about. Due to wheelbases averaging 11-12 inches as compared to full size vehicles running about 110 to 120 inches of wheelbase. That is just a base measure as they vary greatly, so it is just a base to measure the scale size.

But oddly as what is causing the confusion is that the rc's are measured as far as what class they fall into by the wheel diameter. This was done a while back as most 1.9 tires were around the 4 inch diameter. And 2.2 tires were around the 5 inch diameter. That has changed greatly in the past year or so and now you can find some 1.9's that are larger then some 2.2's, etc. But for sake of keeping things on a somewhat level field they group into classes where tire size will fall into a range of similarity. That was easiest done by going by wheel size and hence 1.9 class or 2.2 class. But since there have been many large offerings in 1.9 size tires, etc they have now gone to class1,2,3. And there are options for different tires and wheel sizes within each class. You could have a 1.9 rig that could fall into either class 1 or 2 or 3 depending on what tires you run on it. Similar to full size crawling where there may be a break at 38 inch tires and below or unlimited class of over 38 inch tires.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Cool explanation folks. It still amazes me that ya can pretty much do anything to these as a real 4x4 for way less which is nice do to times nowa days. That's cool that they even break it down to classes just like real life. Learn somethin new everyday eventually I get smarter ;)
Thanks again for your time answerin
Old 08-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

To add a bit, in "comp classes" there is 1.9, 2.2 & super, all are based on rim diameter. While they "should look like regular vehicles" they really don't.

Then you get into the "scale classes" which have a number of unique classes within mostly based on rim diameter.

The biggest difference between "comp classes" & "scale classes" is that the scale classes SHALL look like 1:1 rigs.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook82 View Post
It is because the 1.9 vs 2.2 vs 1.5 is based on the wheel diameter, that is how crawlers are typically based. Most common vehicle size is 1/10 or about. Due to wheelbases averaging 11-12 inches as compared to full size vehicles running about 110 to 120 inches of wheelbase. That is just a base measure as they vary greatly, so it is just a base to measure the scale size.

But oddly as what is causing the confusion is that the rc's are measured as far as what class they fall into by the wheel diameter. This was done a while back as most 1.9 tires were around the 4 inch diameter. And 2.2 tires were around the 5 inch diameter. That has changed greatly in the past year or so and now you can find some 1.9's that are larger then some 2.2's, etc. But for sake of keeping things on a somewhat level field they group into classes where tire size will fall into a range of similarity. That was easiest done by going by wheel size and hence 1.9 class or 2.2 class. But since there have been many large offerings in 1.9 size tires, etc they have now gone to class1,2,3. And there are options for different tires and wheel sizes within each class. You could have a 1.9 rig that could fall into either class 1 or 2 or 3 depending on what tires you run on it. Similar to full size crawling where there may be a break at 38 inch tires and below or unlimited class of over 38 inch tires.
Thanks you for the post.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

So 2.2 the is actually rim width
All good info preciate it
Old 08-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #8
Nope..

Rim diameter. Not width.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambuller84 View Post
Rim diameter. Not width.
caught that in the above message but a wee to late before I hit the stupid button.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanbgreen View Post
So 2.2 the is actually rim width
All good info preciate it
No it is the rim diameter. Like most cars have a 15 or 16 inch rim on full size cars. From what I have seen or used, most 1.9 rims are around 1 inch wide and 2.2's seem to be around 1.5 inches wide. They can vary though.

With the class 1,2,3 they made tire height limits. You can run smaller but you would be at an obvious diss advantage. It goes kinda like this:

Class 1 is limited to about a 4.1 inch tall tire. This is the class that is about the most scale realistic. Rigs that resemble like a Land Rover Camel trophy truck which in full size does not run a very big/tall tire.

Class 2 is limited to about a 4.75 inch tall tire. This class resembles a rig such as something you may see on the street but is close to not street legal and pretty modified. Think of a Jeep on 42 inch tires or full size truck with huge boggers, etc.

Class three is up to an almost 6 inch tire. This class would resemble a completely fabbed tube buggy or extremely built vehicle. Something that can not be driven on the street legally and would be trailerd to the trails.

My sizes may not be exact, so you would actually want to read the rules if you were going to build a rig to compete in a place that followed these rules.

Link to a site that has the rules:

http://www.sorrca.com/

Last edited by Rook82; 08-16-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Rook82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

cool then I want to be in aclass 2 category as that matches my real (1:1) zuk. Good info right there
Thanks rook82