Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Slipper clutch/ spur gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 02:16 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Slipper clutch/ spur gear

Looking for initial upgrades and have heard that the Dingo TR is kinda fast and that the slipper doesn't hold well would this be a good start upgrade for a stocker?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150656907967...84.m1423.l2649
meanbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

The first time I tightened down my slipper nut I could barely get the nylock portion of the nut to seat against the end of the slipper shaft. Like this, it slipped to easily when bound up. I serviced the trans and the next time I was able to get a couple threads extending past the nylock nut. With the slipper this tight, it only slips just as my underpowered 55 Turn motor stalls out.

So, unless your running a ton of power and large tires I believe that the stock slipper is adequate.

I wouldn't go with the unit you've linked just because an aluminum spur against a steel pinion= sharpened spur, sharpened pinion, and a prematurely worn pinion and spur. I've gotten two years out of the stock plastic spur in my AX-10. Plus a metal spur just garrantees that the plastic gears in the transmission fail first, which are more expensive and harder to replace than the spur.

The speed can be reduced by using a smaller pinion gear, like a 14 or 15 tooth instead of the 20 tooth that comes on the RTR's.

Spend the 35 bucks on Robinson Racing steel idler and one piece lower gear for the transmission and then you can delete the slipper altogether if you want too without worrying about the transmission.

Last edited by meatmonkey; 09-01-2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: needed to
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

cool deal, thanks for the advice, didn't even think of the tranny not havin metal gears either. preciate the help. Tryin to think of things to help make it last
Old 09-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
Suck it up!

Get all metal transmission gears and throw the slipper away. About the only time I've ever stripped a spur was when I got a little rock in it, in which case a slipper still wouldn't have saved it.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The trick to running a slipper is to get it adjusted properly. I set mine right to the point where I think other weaker parts are going to give out. Because something will always give out, no matter how bombproof you think it is.

And here is my thinking behind running one:
In a competition situation, I would rather the tranny slip a little and get the opportunity to reverse, than break something and have to take a bigger penalty or be out for good.
onespeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Good points, For my 1;1's I always say after replacin parts with stronger it should be pretty strong by the end. But here with rc's i reckon it would be better as ya say to break a cheap part rather than a pricey one
Old 09-02-2011, 08:20 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I leave my slipper as the weak point in my setup. Everything else is upgraded. If the slipper goes it's cheap and easy to replace. I also fully tighten it with no slip.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote