Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tamiya 3 speed clicking noise in transmission.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 01:19 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Tamiya 3 speed clicking noise in transmission.

I'm hearing a clicking noise in my tamiya 3 speed transmission, only notice it on low gear when stuck on some rocks. You can hear it clicking and it jerks. On med and high gear, the slipper will start to work. I took the trans apart last week and all looks good, I even put gearscience grease just to keep it lubed. The tranny is lifted about 1/2", could it be my axles?
I'll take it apart again this week and hopefully figure it out. If anyone had fixed this problem or can help, I'll appreciate it.
Thanks
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2011, 04:23 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

It may be your diff that's clicking..thats the sound a wore-out ring gear makes when the pinion teeth skip over it...check the rear one, it's the first to go...
the_ghetto_rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ghetto_rig View Post
It may be your diff that's clicking..thats the sound a wore-out ring gear makes when the pinion teeth skip over it...check the rear one, it's the first to go...
After checking front and rear, they seem to look good. I've tried holding them down and turning really hard and I get it to try and skip.
Looks like I'll take apart the transmission and check the final gears. Thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I found the problem, the gear shaft B (lower gears) are moving but the actual shaft(B) isn't following well. Its moves slower than everything else, and sometimes barely moves. I'm assuming the shaft itself might be stripped. Any one have this problem before? I'm thinking if I should keep the transmission or get a R2. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I still haven't figured it out yet. Only in low gear is when it starts to skip, I inspected all the gears and everything seems fine. Other 2 gears work perfect. I tightened the slipper clutch and still no help. I'm taking it apart and will rebuild it and see what happens. If anyone encountered this problem or can help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks
Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Are you fully engaged in first gear? If your servo is not getting enough travel, it may not be fully engaged and that's why it is clicking/slipping. Try setting your servo endpoint a bit further out if possible.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Are you fully engaged in first gear? If your servo is not getting enough travel, it may not be fully engaged and that's why it is clicking/slipping. Try setting your servo endpoint a bit further out if possible.
Just checked that and it seems fine. I just finish rebuilding the trans so I'll see soon if it everything works. Thanks