Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: dual batteries? dual motors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #1

Exclamation dual batteries? dual motors?

I have a completely custom welded and very heavy crawler. i would say it's an hpi but the only thing left on it thats hpi would be the transmision to the wheels.
I'm sure I sound like a broken record but i need more power to move the beast. i upgraded to a 65t motor, which woke it up a bit but I need more.
I'm thinking i need to run dual motors or dual batteries but not completely sure on what to throw money at next.. I'm building it to run well in the mud but still have optimum torque. Maybe Lipo is the answer? Lipo worries me
with the 65t and the Ni 7.4v battery, my rig is a POOCH.
it wieghs approximatly 7-9lbs all together
mud$lut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #2

Going LiPo would make a big difference, if you up it to 11.1V you will gain considerably more punch due to the extra voltage, but make sure your esc can handle it and has a cut off to avoid killing the battery.
They are extra work to keep alive, but man they are awesome.
troyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

do the motors generally not care what the voltage is? in other words they will handle 11.1 or even 14.4 volt current without burning up or do you need motors specific to the voltage you want to run?
soutthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
do the motors generally not care what the voltage is? in other words they will handle 11.1 or even 14.4 volt current without burning up or do you need motors specific to the voltage you want to run?

I have been running 3S lipo's since I started crawling a year and a half ago. And now the motors have only gotten better. They can handle 11.1volts well but anything higher you need to start watching your motor temps. If you want to get a motor that you will never have to worry about power with then get a 10T Holmes Hobbies Puller motor and run it on 11.1v you will have more wheel speed and torque than you could have ever thought. Trust me.

Get the Holmes Hobbies BR-xL torquemaster ESC as well. It can run upto 6s lipos. Now you will overheat the hell out of your motor but just get a 10T Cobalt Puller and Run it on 3S.

If you goto the holmes hobbies website you can buy the motor and esc at a discounted price. It's like $190 to buy them seperately or you can buy the puller combo for $160. I am pullin out all my novak and tekin stuff and replacing it with holmes hobbies gear. The ESC even has a waterproofing upgrade for only an extra $10.

It might sound funny going from a 65T to a 10T but trust me thats how powerfull his motors are they have a totaly different scale of their own.
mrhobby100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

just switch to brushless. if you want to go the cheap route go to hobbypartz.com they have a 1200kv 550 motor that you can run on like a 35amp brushless esc. even keeping your non lipo battery youll be in a whole new world. or while your there pick up a couple cheap lipos and a cheap charger from them. fast shipping and good products for the most part . one warning though that hpi transmission needs a few tweeks to handle power. go ot the wheely king forum on hear and read about transmission fixes.
jereosbou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery underpowered