Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Rollover recovery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Rollover recovery

Wasn't able to search out any good discussions of techniques and mods to help flip the truck (AX10) back onto it's wheels. I already have a lot of weight in the front wheels but none in back and stock electronics.

I know about the rhythm back and forth thing, but couldn't seem to get it started. I'm being 5-pointed to death because it always lands jelly-side down.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #2
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Wheelspeed is an important aspect, but there are many other things to consider. How tall is the body? How high is it above the tops of the tires? Getting the body as low as possible helps. You could use a bug body, but a round top isn't the most importrant thing, even a mildly flat top with rounded edges will work too. I only run Stage Killah bodies and have no problems righting the car. Stay away from bodies with a totally flat top and sharp edges. The front end of the body should also be cut with a rounded shape- not sharp corners that will catch in the rocks. Front shock sag/soft springs will also get the front tires closer to the ground. When you turn the car over, do the wheels sag down closer to the ground? This also applies to weight bias too. You said you have weight in the front, which is needed anyway, but will the body shape let the front tires touch the ground? Of course the radio/ESC needs instant forward /reverse capability also.

Overall, the lower the truck is to the ground when upside down, the easier it will be to find traction to flip it back over.

When the car is upside down, throttle in reverse will push the car forward, if there are rocks to grab, try to drive toward them to get traction. if you have traction already, you just have to keep going back and forth until momentum eventually flips the car over. Obviously, the terrain around the car will either help or hinder your attempts, sometimes the rocks will just stop any kind of movement, so you have no choice except a touch. Probably the worst scenario is landing in soft ground or sand. If you can't get any movement within a few seconds, it's best to touch the car quickly and not waste time.

Last edited by gunnar; 11-07-2011 at 10:23 AM.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
www.team3sixrc.com

Im gonna also add that having a strong servo and good approach angle is key.
having an area that give you an approach angle where as your flipping allows you to reverse quickly will allow you to prevent a possible rollover. Having a strong servo is key as well because wiggling back and forth while throttling will help you hook a possible grab point. Its not just having a strong servo but also a quick one.
a fast snap left or right can push enough momentum one way or another.
for weeks now I have been practicing that with my scaler. Im pretty happy as my rollovers have been slight, but when I am flipped, I have very few issues with not getting back on all fours now.
practice this and you'll find your weak point.

Last edited by team3six; 11-07-2011 at 10:27 AM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Okay, good stuff. My tires don't touch the ground when upside down. I'll have to see if I can lower my body enough to make that happen. Otherwise I guess I need a new body.

Although I hadn't done it yet I was considering raising the body to make it tippier when upside down. I see I got that wrong.

Wheelspeed with the stock 55T and a 2S battery is nothing great. I have already upgraded to a 7950 servo as the stock one broke.

So I just checked...if I lower the body the hood will hit the servo on compression. If I trim back the hood to behind the servo the body will no longer be 12.5" legal. No one said this was going to be easy.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:03 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
having an area that give you an approach angle where as your flipping allows you to reverse quickly will allow you to prevent a possible rollover.
I'm okay with reversing to prevent toppling back on steep climbs. My problems usually involve steep descents or jump-offs where it's already too far rotated by the time the front tires reach the ground.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
I was considering raising the body to make it tippier when upside down.
That idea dose work for some drivers.

Sometimes if you just stay in the throttle as you flip backwards and do a complete roll you can come out on all four's.

When falling downhill, wait to hit the throttle untill the front tires actualy make contact with the ground. Dont try to spin wheels in the air.
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
When falling downhill, wait to hit the throttle untill the front tires actualy make contact with the ground. Dont try to spin wheels in the air.
Reason?

I would think that if I spun up the tires before hitting the ground, the truck would rotate the opposite way and help keep rubber side down.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Gunnar, how much of that low roof profile is due to upside-down sag? If I tried to trim-out my body and get it anywhere near that low, the hood would be sitting on the servo. Seems like one of the biggest advantages of bodiless might be the shorter body so I could get the tires to rest on the ground upside-down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnar View Post
Overall, the lower the truck is to the ground when upside down, the easier it will be to find traction to flip it back over.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
RCC Addict

this is a friend's ax10 and the body has been trimmed accordinly, unfortunately i dont have a picture that shows how he cut the front end but here's a video. he notched the body around the servo because it would hit at full compression.

crawling at Rick's - YouTube
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:
So I just checked...if I lower the body the hood will hit the servo on compression. If I trim back the hood to behind the servo the body will no longer be 12.5" legal. No one said this was going to be easy.
You really don't need to worry about full compression unless your jumping. Here a few pics of one of my old comp rigs. You can see how low the body sits, you can see the top of the chassis. Also note the use of just two body mount post, one in the front window and the other is the same in the rear.

R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
Ex Nor-CalRCRC slave

Quote:
Gunnar, how much of that low roof profile is due to upside-down sag?
The front shocks probably sag down about 1/2" due to the weight of the axle. But if you look at the rear axle, I only have to rock the car about an inch and a half to get the rear tires to touch, so it doesn't take much effort to get the rocking motion going.
gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote