Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: slipper clutch question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default slipper clutch question

Is it better to have a slipper clutch or just upgrade everything to stronger parts and do away with the slipper clutch?
ned72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Depends...

For a crawler or scaler I dump the slipper. I find they get in the way more than they help. Yes, you'll find out where the weak spots on your rig are. For rock-racers and other "go-fast" RCs where the drive train is taking constant shocks, yes, have a slipper.

JMHO...

Last edited by Greatscott; 11-17-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

awesome just what I wanted to hear
Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #4

I have my slipper tightened down to where it won't slip at all. Almost every time I crawl, I find the next weakest spot. Yesterday was my front driveshaft...
xdbrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

X2 I tighten all my slippers all the way down on crawlers and scalers. I even CA the pads together. I always upgrade shafts/tranny gears ahead of time.

My weak point will be replacing a spur gear which is much easier to change out than drive lines or idlers/tranny gears.

On off road racers this is a bad idea...having a slipper protects everything during a race so you won't be in the pits!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

IMHO I don't see any disadvantage to running a slipper.. If you're making it slip with it cranked all the way down you've got to be doing something wrong. I like to let it slip a little in a hard bind without being too soft and keeping me from getting out. Saves parts and allows me to get a little throttle happy if I feel like it. (Like if I'm irritated at the truck when driving poorly )
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
IMHO I don't see any disadvantage to running a slipper.. If you're making it slip with it cranked all the way down you've got to be doing something wrong. I like to let it slip a little in a hard bind without being too soft and keeping me from getting out. Saves parts and allows me to get a little throttle happy if I feel like it. (Like if I'm irritated at the truck when driving poorly )
Yup, it all depends on driving style and how you like your rig setup.

For crawlers, I looking at it from a comp point of view, as a judge, I have seen a good number of drivers get stuck and have to take points because their slipper wasn't allowing the power to get to the wheels.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

thanx guys for all the great info, think i'm just gonna upgrade everything and do away with the slipper
Old 11-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=Jus;3387577]IMHO I don't see any disadvantage to running a slipper.. If you're making it slip with it cranked all the way down you've got to be doing something wrong. I like to let it slip a little in a hard bind without being too soft and keeping me from getting out. Saves parts and allows me to get a little throttle happy if I feel like it. (Like if I'm irritated at the truck when driving poorly )[/QUOTE
Thats how I have mine I dont compete except with my friends so it doesnt matter if I have to back up and it definitely saves the driveline!!
dunebuggy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I run without a slipper in my AX-10 and have learned better throttle control because of it.

I run the included slipper in my SCX and don't have to have great throttle control because of it.

Both have their plus's and minus's. The biggest downside to not running the slipper IMO is that the plastic spur adapter can strip out around the drive pin, whereas the aluminum adapter used with the slipper is more rugid.

The downside to the slipper is that it weighs a touch more, and has the possibility of not allowing all the power to the wheels when you might really want it. Mine is set so tight that it only slips right before the 35 turn motor stalls out which is a nice safety net for the rest of the drivetrain.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
That's how mine is as well, it will slip if I'm in a hard bind, but other than that it doesn't get it the way at all. Also, I'm not running a crazy motor or high voltage.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

yep ive had it tightened for a few weeks now and I like it a lot better. I'm gonna go to all metal gears and heavy duty driveshafts and hardened diff gears in the future, so I should be good when I take it out