Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: looking for crawler platform to build a scale looking rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default looking for crawler platform to build a scale looking rig

Well its been awhile since I sold my xr-10 so i feel like a newbe again..
I'm looking for a scale looking truck but also crawls not a comp crawler I like the real look ..so i can record and take cool pics .

so here's my choices I've found and like just need some info on what route to go for best overall pick...tayima cr-01 they have 4 trucks with this platform are they all the same ? ,scx10 honcho,wraith, highlux tacoma thanks

Last edited by bronc4now; 12-06-2011 at 07:33 AM.
bronc4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

go with a scx. They are pretty capable out of the box and can be made alot more capable with some mods. there running gear is great and they don't break that much if you drive them right, Mine hasn't broken once in a year and thats letting everyone and their mother drive this thing on the rocks while i drive my main rig
the_ocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
RCC Addict

CR-01 is the same across all bodies. It's sort of scale, but not very, and performance is lackluster. They can be made better, but it takes a ton of time and money.

The SCX10 is the best platform for a scale truck, has the most support, and gives you more versatility. It is also much more capable than the CR-01.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I was close to getting a CR-01 after building up my Tundra Highlift...but this was me not doing my homework ahead of time for what I wanted to do with the rigs.

My Tundra Highlift had every single Junfac upgrade you could get except for rear wheel steer. Here's my LHS recording it: Tamiya High Lift - YouTube

A lucky dude in GA bought it from me later as it was a pure shelf queen.

SCX10 is the most versatile with the most parts support. I would find an older model with the aluminum uppers/lowers and true beadlocks not like the new releases. Last I checked Corey at RPPhobby.com had some more in stock for a dirt cheap price brand new!
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Ok well axial is popular and as long as I can throw on the tamiya bodies then cool ..and I know they have more after market stuff..
but I've read that i will end up replacing most of the parts any way so should i look into just buying pc by pc is there a thead on this ?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:37 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Your best purchase would be a green star for 20 bucks then go to the classifieds here. Nicely modified SCX's can be had all day long for very good prices.

Honestly, stock it's still much stronger than the CR01. The only thing I had problems with were the shafts, the new kits fix that and there are other simple fixes for the old shafts. The cheapest is using stampede shafts with the existing Axial U-joints.

The transmission will wear over time but not right away by any means. Grease everything nicely with some lucas red and tacky or other good quality grease and you will be set.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSP View Post
Your best purchase would be a green star for 20 bucks then go to the classifieds here. Nicely modified SCX's can be had all day long for very good prices.

Honestly, stock it's still much stronger than the CR01. The only thing I had problems with were the shafts, the new kits fix that and there are other simple fixes for the old shafts. The cheapest is using stampede shafts with the existing Axial U-joints.

The transmission will wear over time but not right away by any means. Grease everything nicely with some lucas red and tacky or other good quality grease and you will be set.
SOLD thanks man ill be on the lookout for scx10 used maybe or if rpp still has some kits ill grap one ...i just know i like adding mods so i can care less what i start with as long as theres good aftermarket and i dont see as much for the CR01
Old 12-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

that tundra was sick
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraman View Post
that tundra was sick
That tundra was sick ,but i need something that looks like it belongs on the trails ..id be scared to get that thing wet
Old 12-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
RCC Addict

His tundra was beautiful but no offense Alex, it drove like dog crap. It fell over constantly when I saw it. Alex's newer tundra is much more performance oriented and looks awesome!