Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: First purchase question(model specific)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 01:41 AM   #1

Default First purchase question(model specific)

Ok so I've gotta pick up a new hobby now that I no longer have a 1:1 scale 4runner with muds. I'm into doing the scale thing and am looking at the Tamiya Touareg model or the Tamiya F150 stadium truck model. I no nothing about either one other than the fact that I like the suspension set up on the Touareg model a little better. Other than that I don't know much. I've tried to find some other 1:10 scale bodies that I like(Toyota) and perhaps some bigger springs(I'm not sure how I lift these models) but for now all I'm looking for is something to play around with...the wally crawlers just ain't cuttin' it. I'm looking to play around in the dirt/mud, perhaps try some light rock crawling and to just make it an experiment. I noticed that a lot of the scale rockcrawlers still had link suspension..Is there anyway to get this setup without going too far overboard on price to start out? I noticed a lot of the trucks were built from the ground up, just like the real things...any info on that would be great. Anything important that I need to know and or other 1:10 models that you would recommend? If not...some input on one of the two models mentioned would be great. Thanks in advance. CC

Last edited by crawlincivic; 06-16-2006 at 02:31 AM.
crawlincivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

A tlt from hobbypeople.net is a $80 dollar way to get some axles with a four link set up. Then you make a tuber, ask HULK to make on, or get a new chassis from the vendor section and put the body you like on.
revoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:15 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I know nothing about either of the mentioned vehicles but if you can fabricate parts you'll be able to make either of them work for you. Try and get a finished "picture" of what you want it to be and just build it.
Someone will chime in sooner or later that know more about the trucks your looking at.
If you want to do a ground up trail rig you really can't go wrong with the TLT and do what ever upgrades you'd like. Tubers, or comp.(plate type) chassis' are both sold in the Vendor section here if you are looking at going that way.
I happen to sell both but others have some that are great. I don't think any vendor on here will stear you wrong with what ever set up you want to go with.
You also have the Ladder frame build as well. They keep it Scale looking and you can make leaf springs if you like or want to do that. There are some very good vendors for those as well.

I think that might help you.
Good luck and welcome to the site
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The best thing you can do is spend a few nights just going through the forums and reading up on stuff. Scratch-built chassis can be as simple as an aluminum twin verticle plate design that you can make with hand-tools, to complex tube chassis that are brazed or welded together. I give another vote for the TLT to start out with. They are great for scale rigs, and you can build them up with leaf springs, or a coil-over and link setup. Like Double-J said, get an idea going and go from there. Do some searching here on the specific topics that you are interested in.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote