Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: my extreme mini crusher

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default my extreme mini crusher

Here is my mini crusher, not quite finished, but close. All I have left is to mount the body.
Here are the specs:
Colorado mini crusher
shaved front axle
locked Diffs front and rear
custom chassis
stretched wheelbase (6 1/2")
dual 4.1:1 electrifly cases
mini t speed motor
cut 2 coils
4 cell rechargeable pack
stock electronics

So far, this thing has been a blast!! The stock elecs are good enough, and the stock tires actually grab really well! I probably won't change much except for pinning the axles into the diffs and if the wheels strip, then pinning the wheels. Onto the pics...

I will post a vid in a few days when I get it finished up. Has been a cheap build so far, since I had all the parts laying around and the mini crusher was a gift!!

Last edited by getbent; 09-24-2006 at 06:42 PM.
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
BB2
Rock Stacker

Cool, what did you use to strech the 4 link and drive shafts?
BB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:41 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

that looks awesome. I was lookin for a mini crusher at wal mart tonight but they didn't have any. Anyone know where else they would have it? I love the stretch but it makes it a little bigger scale, for mine I want to keep it real small. But thats just me, looks awesome and not too many mods to get it there, I am using the same kind of motor, but from an 18t, I also have all the electrics from an 18t I could use, but then I think I would break it a lot.
CrawlAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

awesome.... i wish i didnt get so chop happy on mine, but i bought it for the axles any ways i have the jeep body still...
your truck looks sick.
post one of your pics in my thread too ...

Last edited by murdock; 06-18-2006 at 10:27 PM.
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys, I'm having lots of fun with it!!

BB2, I just cut the drive shafts and links in half then went to the hobby shop and found some aluminum tubing that they would fit inside. Cut the tubing to length, insert driveshaft or link halves and glue with a slow drying CA. So far they have been plenty strong.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
BB2
Rock Stacker

Oh, cool, I saw you had the ends of the driveshafts and links but didn't know what or how you conected them strait. I don't know if I am going to strech mine but if I find one for like 50% off, I'll get it and go crazy! I'll keep looking for a bargin!
BB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:41 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

bb2 its all about trial and error.

getbent im feelin the hex bolts... nice touch, do you have a link to those gear reductions?
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Here is the link to the gear reductions I used, I had to stack two of them, one wasn't low enough. In fact I would maybe try the 5:1's instead, it could still stand to be geared a little lower, not much, but a little.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVY67&P=ML
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVY65&P=ML

I am going to work on a skid plate tonight to help it slide over the rocks a little better.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #9

Hello i just got a mini crusher and i will be using the 2 gear box idea you came up with. looks like a nice easy thing to use.

i do have a few questions though. do you just use the stock motor with the stock brass pinion on it? or did you have to get that thing off there?
Mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:31 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks cool. Now I have to build me one.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Mike71, to be honest, it's been so long since I put it together that I don't rmember if the stock motor pinion would mesh with the gear reductions or not. The gear boxes are not a straight forward easy mod, there's a lot of cutting and fittng involved, and the pinions also have to be drilled to fit over the gearbox shaft. A little complicated, but I can go into more detail later if you need.

Meanwhile... this thing has gotten a lot more work done to it since these posts and I will try and update soon.some of the new mods...

minit wheels and new tires (big improvement)
bearings in the axles
new lower links
I'm testing mini t elecs in it now, we'll see how the servo does.

It's turning into more of a mini TLT now.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:56 PM   #12

hmm i figured id have to cut some on the gear drives. that i can do but gears and stuff scare me jk

cant wait to see what you have done to it now =-) while im waiting to build a tlt i figured id mod this one till i break it for good .

o also do you have a website that stocks mini t wheels.tires?
Old 08-27-2006, 07:37 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

here's a link ...
http://www.hobbyetc.com/cgi-bin/cata...&man=all&lim=0

I used the pro line dirt hawg tires (2 packs) and the RPM revolver black wheels ( 2 sets of rears). I tried a couple diff tires, but the dirt hawgs worked a lot better than any other tire that I tried.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I'm starting to like all the small scale stuff...Keep up the work looking good!
robvbro81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:13 PM   #15

thanks for the link getbent =-) sorry i didnt reply sooner been having to much fun getting my class A lic lol

i did however order 2 of the plane gear set things those should be here on wed. i think i might try to make a scale rig outa this =-) kinda liken the idea right now.

could you post what yours looks like with the new tires and wheels? also can you post a shot in comparison to the canyon body you have? =-) i wanna get a feel for the size so i know what kinda body i can run and still look scale.

i have a feeling once i start truckin im gunna dig the small scale pocket r/c to haul around =-)
Old 09-02-2006, 11:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent
some of the new mods...
  • bearings in the axles
Which bearings are these? Mini-T wheel bearings and transmission bearings seem to have too large an interior diameter to do this. Additionally, how did you do it? I'm guessing they're installed where the white nylon bushings are, on the ends of the axle, but drilled out for the bearing's outside diameter?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work!

- xjMatt
xjMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #17

the bering kit i have for an xmod seems to fit in place of all the white things
Old 09-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

my son just bought one with his birthday money! he he he he
before i dig into this thing, i mean let him know what he can do .
what did you lock the diffs with and are you going to use the stock radio gear?
ON THE FARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 03:51 AM   #19

i locked the gears with some JB weld. i think the guy thta has the cool one said he either ditched the stock elecs or he was thinking about it

i am gunna try to use the stock stuff but if i do ill have to find a way to make a better servo work the steering doesnt even seem to want to turn the stock tires sometimes
Old 09-09-2006, 05:22 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Well, got some more work done and now she's running like a top. having ton's of fun in the living room or back yard, small enough to play with just about anywhere.I switched to the mini t electronics and so far so good. The servo is a little weak, but works good enough. I also replaced the stock lower links with mini t ball studs and rod ends with 2/56 threaded rod and aluminum sleeves. Makes em a little smaller profile and gets rid of the ugly red ones. Also switched to a rc18B buggy body for that rock racer look, let me know what you think.Onto some pics in my backyard Moab, and a short vid ( if you pay attention you will see it roll off the other side of the rock. OOOPS!) nothing special in the vid, but you'll get the idea...

PICS

AND THE VIDEO