Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: there is no ON/OFF switch extension for XL5 esc, how can I access it in a wraith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default there is no ON/OFF switch extension for XL5 esc, how can I access it in a wraith?

...so I'm trying to figure out how to turn my XL5 esc on, while it is deep inside the body. It doesn't have an extended power ON/OFF switch like on the AE-2 esc in the RTR version (located under the dash in driver side). Can someone who is using the XL5 help me in mounting the esc so that I can access the on/off switch?..

Post pictures if you have them please.

Thanks in advance.
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: there is no ON/OFF switch extension for XL5 esc, how can I access it in a wraith?

I'm guessing the single button on the ESC is the on/off switch. I remember it kind of from my slash. That but unfortunately is the programming button as well. Probably gonna have to take it apart and soldier wires where the button is soldiered and put a button where you want. Can't put a switch on it because it's a momentary switch.
bagged86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: there is no ON/OFF switch extension for XL5 esc, how can I access it in a wraith?

I am in the process of moving the battery to the front and installing an XL-5 speed control as well. If you are keeping it under the hood I recommend making your hood easily removable for quick access
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I do not know about the XL5 esc, but I am waiting to get a Holmes Hobby Combo and have been told that their BR-XL speed control does not have an ON/OFF switch so you just have to disconnect the battery when not in use, which in of itself is not a bad idea.
Land Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

this is what I am doing for a removable hood -

--- Crawler Innovations "White Lightning Wraith" ---

go to post #49 and see what Nova's Ark did. Super easy way to make your hood easily removable and speed control easily accessible
Old 01-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Crab View Post
I do not know about the XL5 esc, but I am waiting to get a Holmes Hobby Combo and have been told that their BR-XL speed control does not have an ON/OFF switch so you just have to disconnect the battery when not in use, which in of itself is not a bad idea.
You are correct about the BR-XL just unplug when done/ plug in play, I have the mamba max pro sealed in a plastic box so no way to turn off and on from the ESC so I soldiered the two switch wires together and unplug the battery when done.
Different setup for the XL5 because you program with a button not a computer.
bagged86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
RCC Addict

For now I have put my xl-5 on the floor of the passenger seat. It fits perfectly and one of the mounting tabs on the esc sits right above the mount for the interior on the chassis so you can use a screw for extra support holding it down
Old 01-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #8

I mounted mine in the rear on a custom floor...sits directly behind the seats. Very easy to get to. I'll put up some pics soon.
mattied2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattied2000 View Post
I mounted mine in the rear on a custom floor...sits directly behind the seats. Very easy to get to. I'll put up some pics soon.
cool, I'd like to see that
Old 01-16-2012, 03:11 PM   #10

vxl-3 mounted on custom aluminum floor...
mattied2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

you could always just eliminate the switch like most people do on the fx'r esc
and just unplug your battery as a "switch"
xiteamxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiteamxi View Post
you could always just eliminate the switch like most people do on the fx'r esc
and just unplug your battery as a "switch"
I believe the XL-5 is a button, NOT a switch externally like the CC's & FX-R's.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

It might take some creativity, but perhaps a 'remote' button actuator could be made from some Airplane pushrod type materials.

You would just need to find a way to mount the tube right over the switch (clamp of some sort perhaps), then the other end to a easier location to get to.

Just a thought....

TowerHobbies.com | 500 Dubro Lazer Pushrod 36"

y2kgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #14

I have an EVX 2 in my Clod a ma jig... I use a receiver pack to power my servos so i simply use a relay with a 6 volt primary coil to actuate an/off switch cut into the positeve leads of my battery. I have a 3.5 mm jack installed on the cgassis and use a 3.5 mm plug looped back on it self to complete the primary circuit. This lets me do to things, one shut it off immediately and 2 shut it off IMMEADIATELY. yes, extera wiring, yes extra weight, yes peice of mind that my 4 year old nephew isnt gonna take off with my truck LOL. A crawler canbe pretty slow but i do this with all me vehicles, well at least the elictric ones.
Chrishercules1 is offline   Reply With Quote

there is no ON/OFF switch extension for XL5 esc, how can I access it in a wraith? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
xl5 esc usa1man Electronics 2 11-11-2007 06:56 AM
A new ESC? an XL5 clodcrawler66 Tamiya Clod Buster 6 08-01-2007 09:32 AM