Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial Wraith - good starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #1

Default Axial Wraith - good starter?

Hi
new to the forum so posting in the non flame zone!

I've been looking for something that is not a dedicated crawler - but which can run around a bit too and so have been looking initially at a Summit, but now I'm looking at an Axial Wraith. They seem to be just as capable, cheaper and probably better for what I want.

I think something that will run around on sand dunes, jump a bit and still be able to handle a bit of off road 'crawling' type stuff is what I fancy. Do you think this is a good machine for me (the wraith) and what are the similar machines that you'd recommend I look at.

Then I'd say - should I buy a ready to run or would I be better off going for a kit.

I guess that depends - but is there a 'you're always better off buying a kit' type feeling or do the RTR's come with reasonable quality components?
RickCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial Wraith - good starter?

I think it sounds like the Wraith would be a good fit for you. My first RC was a Traxxas Slash 4x4. It's a great rig but it's only good at going fast. Then I discovered crawling and absolutely love it (I have a dedicated crawler for this). At the same time I wanted a go anywhere do anything rig so when the Wraith came out I thought it would fit the bill. I've had it a few months and have been really happy with it. I bought the RTR because my free time is scarce so I don't have the time to build the kit. The RTR ESC and RX are just fine, the motor ok but the servo is junk. If you have time to throw a kit together than go for that. It comes with universal up front instead of the dog bones, AL lower links and the softer tires. Plus you can get what ever electronics will suit your needs. Since you want an all around play rig do yourself a favor and go with a sensored brushless motor. I've got a Tekin Redline 13.5 sensored motor, Mamba Max Pro ESC and running 3S and it will get up and go but I can still slow down and crawl when needed. Also, move your batter forward and it helps and almost all situations.
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I would go with the Wraith kit put some good electronics you will have to replace them any ways so just do it now.
wurster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I would definately go with the wraith over the summit. I personally hate the summit. But I like the realism aspect of crawlers, scalers, short course. My next rig is either a wraith or a custom home made rock racer. I've got the crawler, I've got the go fast short course. Now I need something in between.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Oh yea, if you can afford it buy the kit. If not, get the RTR and fix/replace as $$ allows...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #6

thanks for the feedback guys. What would be a comparable vehicle to the wraith if I'm looking to compare models? I assume Losi do something similar? I can't see anything on modelsport that looks similar though?

I'll have a look at the prices for the motors and esc's there Grim to see how that lot would price up with a kit.

thanks again for all your feedback, when you're as overwhelmed by it all as I am it really helps.
RickCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial Wraith - good starter? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good starter crawler YJeep10 Newbie General 7 02-07-2011 07:27 PM
is the traxxas xl-5 esc a good starter esc for axial kit Misfit7734 Electronics 5 04-21-2009 03:59 PM
good starter corvette crawle Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 08-23-2008 07:55 PM
Looking for the a good starter Head Hunter Newbie General 2 05-12-2008 05:49 PM
good starter chassis?? AWILLIAMS64 Tamiya Clod Buster 24 04-26-2008 11:08 AM