Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: started rock crawler project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #1

Default started rock crawler project

using T maxx axles and locked out independent suspension as solid axles and plan on using the T maxx tans with the 55 turn integy motor I got. was planning the stampede gear box originally but I like the way the T maxx trans has a brake, reverse and the driveshafts will be much easier to work out. what do you all think about the T maxx trans for a crawler?

also, need to find a few places where I can buy the big heims for the links and figure out what thread they are so I can go pickup some aluminum tubing or rod and get started on the links

going to make my own frame.. looks tricky but that's what I want to do and it's less expensive that way and on top of all, I don't think anyone makes a frame that will fit a T maxx trans ans stuff

any input is appreciated, thanks
Maroon Monsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #2

k, well, forget the fact that the t maxx trans has reverse since I don't need it.. I just had the epitome that I was dumb enough to forget that the electric motor does reverse.. oh I feel stupid now. anyways, I also heard there is a centrifital clutch to go into second in the t maxx trans. anyone know how to lock that out as well as the reverse on the t maxx trans? thanks
Old 07-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

First things first, welcome to RCCrawler.com! You said you're going to make your "frame", does this mean you're making a tuber? If so, I would advise you to fabricate something more simple for a first build, like an NN immitation as it is simple and still a great performer.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 03:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva
First things first, welcome to RCCrawler.com! You said you're going to make your "frame", does this mean you're making a tuber? If so, I would advise you to fabricate something more simple for a first build, like an NN immitation as it is simple and still a great performer.
what's an NN? also not planning a tube frame. just some aluminum plate for the bottom and make some stuff go up the sides and a couple supports up top like allot of the frames you can buy.I have a dremel, pnumatic cutting wheel, pnumatic sheet metal cutter, sheet metal bender, drills.. etc.. i think I have all the tools I need. A tube frame buggy looking thind looks beyone my skill level. I have never welded aluminum and don't own a tig welder and have never used one.. I don't think steel would be too great for one of those. I just plan on making the frame as simple and functional as possible. want to make the links really triangular like I've seen on some real rock crawlers where the bottom ones go like /\ and the top ones go like \/ only not as wide as the bottom ones.. may have to make the bottom ones not quite that angled to make the driveshaft and everything work but we'll see. all I have done is lock out the T maxx suspensions and lock a diff with locktite that I need to install, the back axle already has a spool but the front will just be a welded by locktite one. yup, long way to go

thanks
Old 07-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you have your mind set on what you want. All you need to do is start it.
The best way to achieve your goal is trial and error in this Crawler world. If it doesn't work then you know what not to do.

There is a lot of good reading on here. So use the search and start reading. And building a frame around the Tmaxx tranny isn't to difficult so you sould be good on that one and there is a thread on how to lock it into 1st. Search and you find it. I don't have the time right now to get the link for you.

Good luck and welcome aboard
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J
Looks like you have your mind set on what you want. All you need to do is start it.
The best way to achieve your goal is trial and error in this Crawler world. If it doesn't work then you know what not to do.

There is a lot of good reading on here. So use the search and start reading. And building a frame around the Tmaxx tranny isn't to difficult so you sould be good on that one and there is a thread on how to lock it into 1st. Search and you find it. I don't have the time right now to get the link for you.

Good luck and welcome aboard
thanks, I'm a bit short on time myself but if I can't figure it out I'll do the search, thanks