Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: novak speed control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2006, 04:51 PM   #1

Default novak speed control

is the XRS reversible sport any good? I am building my wish list on tower hobbies, and wanna know what to put on there
spidertoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 05:01 PM   #2

another question, will any radio work with any receiver/ESC combo? I am extremely new to this whole R/C crawler thing
Old 07-30-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

The XRS,which I have run in the past,has a crappy BEC. You'll need a high BEC on a ESC for a crawler. You'd be alot better off spending a little more and getting a TR2,or better yet,go brushless.

My sons Twin is currently running a TR2 and IMHO,after the Super Rooster,it's one of the better ESC's out for crawling(with brushes). I just recently made the switch to brushless in my Twin and I'll never run a set of brushes in my crawler again. It's boosted power a bunch and helped my runtimes a pretty good bit also.

Get a hold of Johnrobbholmes on the board (Holmes Hobbies). He's the man for electronics. He knows his stuff,very good to deal with,has great prices and QUICK delivery.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 05:43 PM   #4

okay ya lost me with the BEC, and whats that got to do with brushes?? arent the brush'es inthe motor? what benefit from going brushless?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertoy
okay ya lost me with the BEC, and whats that got to do with brushes?? arent the brush'es inthe motor? what benefit from going brushless?

BEC stands for battery eliminator circuit. Back in the old days of R/C cars they had a seperate pack of 4 AA batts. to power the servo(s) and reciever. When ESC's became more used they could get that power from the main batt. pack and "eliminate" the AA's hence the accronym. The higher the amp rating of the BEC the better for a crawler, we use high power servos that need more power than say a TC4 or other "race" type cars. So you want to get something with reverse (for obvious reasons) and a high BEC amp rating of at least 1.5 for a 2.2 rig and IMO 3 or more for a super crawler. Some of the current ESC's that fit the bill are the Tekin Rebel II, the novak super duty or I use a EVX from a Traxxas E-Maxx (a little big but oh well) Alot of people like the Novak rooster and super rooster but they are discontinued and only available on e-bay. I think that covers most of the high points..... Any questions?

Oh and welcome to RCC!

I forgot the brushed, brushless thing there are several threads on here about brushless motors but the brushed type are the main choice for motors. The brushless motor uses a special speed control (ESC) and are much more powerfull and efficient, also smaller and lighter.

Last edited by racerx; 07-30-2006 at 06:27 PM.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:33 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'm using an EVX from an E-MAXX but the BEC on it's a bit on the weaky side... 5V/1.5A, I think it is... I stuck a receiver pack in the loop, 6V, and now my servo gives grunt and speed... And I also get a LOT more run-time becuase the main pack isn't supplying power for more than just the ESC and motors...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

In my super crawler I now use a voltage reg. set at 6v running from the 6 cell stick pack and two Hitec 1/4 scale servos. Now my crawler swings the tires like the wiper blades on my truck!!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:52 PM   #8

To run both servos do you need 2 regulators or just 1???
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote