Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Alternatives to Tobee Craft drive shafts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Alternatives to Tobee Craft drive shafts?

I have a TLT-1 that I just use to bash around the house, it hasn't really been outside yet, my TXT-1 is for that. I installed the tobee craft long wheelbase kit and a mild widener kit this weekend and even though there were no instructions included I think I got it right, didn't seem that hard to figure out which length links were for what.

The problem I am having is that the dogbone is entering the diff outdrive at too steep an angle and is getting quickly chewed up by the steel. It won't be long and it will cut the end right off.

Did I install it wrong or does this kit just not work right ? If it isn't me and these thing just dont work that well, what are my other options for drive shafts?
jays0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2006, 10:08 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Is this for the tlt with stock driveshaft? If so you can take the stock shock and move it into a higher up location by drilling a hole. (if it doesnt use the cavinalier set up.)
revoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

This is the 60mm extension kit with stock axels and stock diffs. I am using the cantilevers as well.

Isn't there a longer dogbone or different drive shaft setup that would fit?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Try this: http://rccaraction.com/online_ex/tltrockclimber.asp
There is a part on the driveshaft extension.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:29 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Do you have a link to where you bought the kit?

There is also a revo driveshaft that at orrcrc.com(I think that is it. Ask another oregon guy.)it shows you how to set it up to the axle. I don't know if there is a way to attatch that drive shaft to the stock trannie.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

http://www3.kcn.ne.jp/~tobee/English.htm

click TLT-1 on the left, it's part number 43200

not much info there though, i'll try to measure them tonight to see how long a replacement would need to be. Are there a lot of options for longer dogbones or universals?

Last edited by jays0n; 07-31-2006 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:40 AM   #7

Can you shorten the lower links or lenghten the uppers to point the pinion up alittle? I've not seen the kit but I would think that would help, making the driveline angle less severe.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Unfortunately the way they are made makes that not an option, they are an aluminum shaft with a threaded stud sticking out of each end. i think my only option is to find a new dogbone, if you look at the pic of the kit you'll see that instead of making a longer dogbone they just extended the "drive cup" that the universal sits in from another kit they already make. This makes the angle even more severe.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

You don't necessarily have to change the links length to change the pinion angle. Move the mounting point on the chassis. For example: On the rear of the truck,to move the pinion up,move the lower link mounting point on the chassis foward a little or move the upper link mounting point back a little.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:26 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default think I solved the shaft issue

I'm not even sure it's an angle thing, I think it's just an issue with the way the shafts in the kit are made.

I took them off last night and put the stock drive cups back on. I took a q-tip and trimmed it until the length was perrfect to fit as a dogbone would. I came up with 68mm and don't see any issues with the angle at this time.

I found a 68mm dogbone on tower, from a duratrax maximum bx buggy, they were cheap so I ordered up a set to give them a try. Hopefully they aren't too large to fit in the cups, I can always mod them to get a better fit if I have to, or change the cups and diff. They will hopefully be in by the weekend.

Next is tires, any suggestions for something not too much larger that will fit on the stock wheel hexes?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default Shafts fit perfectly

The Duratrax Maximum BX buggy 68mm shafts came in and they fit perfectly, just threw a couple of O rings in the drive cups and the truck runs great now, no rubbing.

So the moral of this story is that if you get the 60mm Tobee Craft long wheelbase kit don't even bother using those crappy CVD type shafts that come with it, order these instead!