Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Getting back into the Hobby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Getting back into the Hobby

Well after about a 2 yr break I think its time to come back to the Hobby. My cuz showed me a Towerhobbies catalog a few weeks ago with the EXO Terra in it and now I want one so thats on my list. However I've always wanted to build a scale RC even though i'm not really in to the rock crawling, more trail runner I think. I started to look @ the SCX10 and after researching what I would want to do to it the price kinda became to expenisve for what it is. So now I've be looking @ the Wraith to go along with the EXO. I like the interior but not the rigs high COG. Then i came across somebodys build thread of a wraith where they dropped it a lil and saw that theres a kit for that as well. Did some more research on a possible wraith build and those numbers look a lil better. Lucky for me I still have my Futuba T3PK w/Fasst so I don't have to buy another remote. So hopefully soon I'll have a build thread of my own on here, and I just have to say a lot of the build threads on here are sick. Now I remember why i joined the site back in 09.

And don't worry I know the search feature is my friend, so hopefully I won't have to ask that many newbie questions. Haven't had a electric since the tamyia Alfa Romeo or the Bolink cars way back in the day. Went from electric to nitro to gas and now completing the circle back to electric. Go figure.

Last edited by KauseKaos; 08-15-2012 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
KauseKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Getting back into the Hobby

If price is an issue find one used in the for sale seciton
Harley just sold one for $550 that would easily cost 800 to build, and if your complaint is you want to build it, then put a pro4 in it and don't worry, you will rebuild everything!
2k3r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Any rig you choose can get pricey. But there are a lot of economical upgrades.
The Wraith is a fun truck and with some minor upgrades is pretty sturdy. Harley has a wealth of information in that section.
The Exo is a really fun car to drive. For tips you should go here. ShortCourse & Desert Brand Specific Tech - Axial EXO Terra Buggy at RCShortCourse.com
Enjoy!
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I thought about looking in the for sale section that way maybe I got find a deal and would be able to get a deal to get both the Wraith and the Exo around the same time but I can't see that section yet here. I've been looking @ Harley's thread as well to get info about the wraith. I'm apart of the rcshortcourse forum from when I had my SC8 so I've been over there reading and looking as well.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

After this thread i guess i can just toss my budget, cause i can see myself buying a lot of stuff. Maybe i'll put the EXO on hold and just get the Wraith and focus on that for now. Honestly the Exo would suit what i wanna do better but I really like how the Wraith looks. @ this point I dont know what I should get.

Last edited by KauseKaos; 08-20-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Your Wraith will still run without all the swell stuff. I got the RTR when it came out and did the essential upgrades. Links were first then Axial aluminum chubs and knuckles. You don't have to have all the goodies at once. I still don't a lot of things Harley has but mine runs just fine.
drywallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

My cuz is getting the Exo so if I got the wraith I would want it to be able to keep up and be able to bash with him. He's planning on just throwing the Traxxas Velineon system and I would put the same in the Wraith. So I would need it to be tough as well.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Wraith got put on hold. Was on towerhobbies and the Kit Exo is now 200 with tower coupons etc even cheaper so it was a no brainer. So unless I can find a used wraith that project is on hold for now.

Getting back into the Hobby - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get A Hobby - Back from Vacation... Get A Hobby California 1 10-05-2010 06:47 PM
Getting back into the hobby????? dann06 Newbie General 6 03-08-2010 10:55 AM
gettin back into the hobby... bradabolics General Crawlers 1 01-27-2010 05:33 PM