Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: turnigy trackstar motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default turnigy trackstar motor

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy TrackStar 17.5T Sensored Brushless Motor 1870KV

Anyone have experience with these cheap motors? I am not a rich man so please don't give me shit about buying Chinese. I know "you get what you pay for" and that you take a risk with hobbyking. Just would like to know if anyone has ran these motors and if they are reliable at all. Thanks.
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: turnigy trackstar motor

It really depends on what you're planning on doing and final motor rpm. The older trackstar 1/8 2pole motors would toss rotor magnets if the rpm was too high. Apparently the newer stuff is built better.

Usually when I buy cheap chinese, allowing some headroom has worked well for me. Basically buy too much motor/esc for your application.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
It really depends on what you're planning on doing and final motor rpm. The older trackstar 1/8 2pole motors would toss rotor magnets if the rpm was too high. Apparently the newer stuff is built better.

Usually when I buy cheap chinese, allowing some headroom has worked well for me. Basically buy too much motor/esc for your application.
Any idea of a cheap brushless sensored speed control that would work for crawling? I was just gonna use a vxl but I have been reading that they do not work so well for going slow, even with a sensored motor.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The problem with the cheap Chinese esc's in this regard is the drag break. The ones I have max out at 30% drag, just be aware. Most use the same type of programming handheld box too. Other than that they work well for sensored or sensorless crawling and go fast applications.

Been hearing a lot of good things about the lt4... http://www.brushlesshobbies.com/
Old 08-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
The problem with the cheap Chinese esc's in this regard is the drag break. The ones I have max out at 30% drag, just be aware. Most use the same type of programming handheld box too. Other than that they work well for sensored or sensorless crawling and go fast applications.

Been hearing a lot of good things about the lt4... Brushless R/C Buggies, Trucks, Helicopter, Electronics, Transmitters, Parts & Accessories Store
Sweet I'll have to check that out when I get done working. A high percentage drag brake isn't a big deal for me. Muchos gracias for the info meatwad
Old 08-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Np guy

turnigy trackstar motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
turnigy trackstar esc elsewhere Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 11-12-2011 09:12 PM
Turnigy 420 adamargue Electronics 1 10-13-2010 05:31 AM