Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Questions about first build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2006, 02:49 PM   #1

Question Questions about first build

I'm sorry if this post is in the wrong place but I thought that this was a good place to put it. I've searched and couldn't find anything about this (at least I think) and wanted your opinions anyway. I've been looking around the site for a few days and have been looking at all the custom rigs out there. I decided that I want to try my hand at creating a chassis and building my own custom rig. I have a T Maxx with a bad motor so I'm thinking that I can use some parts off of it. I was thinking about using the transmission and shafts out of it. I was also thinking that I could use the shocks. I was wonder thou, if I use the transmission and shafts out of it what axles should I use other than the ones in the T Maxx which I don't want. I want the solid axles like they use in a TLT, or something like that. I'm only going to put 2 wheel steering if that helps with the axle issue. Also, I'm thinking that I want this rig in a TLT style kind of. I'm able to build the chassis, or at least I think so and I would also like some ideas on what style chassis I should build. I don't really know what body I want on it so I'll just use what ever fits when I'm done. I have the TQ3 radio system from the T Maxx so I'll only need to buy a high torque steering servo, an electric motor, and an ESC, what ESC should I use? Another thing, should I use tubing or solid stock, or something else? I'm still on a tight budget so I'll probable be fabricating anything and everything that I can, and only buying what I absolutely have to. I think I'm going to put a four link system on it but I don't know right now. Thanks again for your help and when I do start building I'll put up pics for you to see!
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

You can make solid axles out of your maxx parts (see...Straight maxx axles... ??Conduit?? and some other there) I suggest this because you allready have the parts needed and you said your bugeted.
You can also make it 4WS I did it with emaxx parts.
As far as a chassis I can't really help you decide what you would like to run. Are you wanting a tube chassis, a comp chassis or a scale type of chassis. You will have to figure out that by looking around like you have been and seeing what direction you want.

Also - if you want TLT style axles then buy the TLT from ultimate hobbies. Like $80 shipped.
ESC the moped has turned out to be a good little ESC and is found on ebay. along with the servos you'll need.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

^^ What he said, do that
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

To make solid axles from a maxx simpally remove the front and rear suspension and diff from the chassis then replace the shocks witha solid rod. lock the diff also.
revoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:34 PM   #5

Thanks for the link, I never thought of that and its a great idea. I think I'm leaning towards a scale rig type chassis, but I'll see how it ends up I might go with a tube chassis or make it out of solid round stock I'm not really shure. Another question, what transmission should I use? The T Maxx tranny won't work. Also, I don't think my receiver is any good so what should I use for that? Any recommendations on these two questons whould be a big help, thanks!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Normally people use the emaxx or pede trannis. Cruse around the maxx forum on here.
revoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #7

I looked around the Maxx forum and other parts of the site and decided that I'll go with a Rustler transmission. I'm also going to go with the Moped for an ESC. I think I'm going to use the E Maxx reciever and the TQ3 remote that came with my T Maxx and just chang the crystals, unless anyone tells me different. Now, what motor should I use with the rustler tranny? Also, what should I use for a steering servo, and what voltage is the moped ESC? Also, I've seen moped ESC's with reverse and some without, which one should I get? I think the one with reverse is a better choice but I'd like to know what all you think. Thanks again for the help!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:54 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Get the one with reverse, the V16r. It's the orange one
Old 08-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #9

Thanks, I figured the one with reverse would be the baest. But, would the receiver from an E Maxx work with it?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Yeah, it should do, any 2 channel transmitter/reciever combo should do the job.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #11

The receiver on my E Maxx is a three channel, but I looked at the E Maxx parts list and they do have a 2 channel one so I'll get that one. Another important question that I have is what motor to use. I've read alot about Lathe motors but I don't know if thats what I should use in the rustler tranny. I have an old D3 motor laying around that I know works, but I don't know if it will work for this aplication, am I right, or wrong. I don't know what exactly the motor is. Here's a pic of it, tell me what you think. Here.
Sorry about the crappy pic, my good camera died and I had to get out the old one!
Old 08-18-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Three channel will work just fine. no reason to downgrade to a 2 channel!
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Just dont plug anything into the 3rd channel.
Dan-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:47 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

He was going to use 4WS so he could use the 3rd channel for that.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #15

Thanks, I'll just use the three channel receiver. I think I'm going to try to use that D3 motor I have laying around unless it doesn't fit with the rustler tranny or someone tells me that it won't work for rock crawling. I'm going to gear it down and everything so I think it will work. One more question, if this gets answered fairly quickly I might by able to start work this coming Monday, what servos should I use. If you could tell me all the info about the servo you suggest so I'll be able to go to the LHS and order it or order it from where ever you tell me to, it would be really helpfull, thanks.

Last edited by Madman; 08-18-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #16

Instead of starting a new thread I thought I would just add on to this one that I had already started. So, my new question is will that T Maxx transmission I have work in a rock crawler with an electric motor? Will I have to do anything to it to get it to work and if so what will I have to do? Thanks again for your time.