Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Gearing and susp set-ups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Gearing and susp set-ups

I've read somewhere that people use different gearing for front and rear how does that work, i have clodbuster if that matters. And is there any benefit from using different spring rates front and rear ? Thanks.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
rik
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gearing and susp set-ups

being that you have a clod, here is what gearing will do. all you can really do with those axels as far as gearing goes is changing pinions. what you want to do is run a pinion that is one or two teeth smaller in the rear axle. i believe you will need to mod the casse where the screws go to hold the motor. i dont have my clod axles anymore so i have nothing to look at lol. but what this does is helps eliminate clod stall. clod stall is when you drive over an obstacle and only the front tires spin. running a smaller pinion in the back helps eliminate this. however, the only way to truly eliminate it is to run dual esc's. but, the smaller pinion will help.

running different spring rates will help with variety of issues. anything from rollovers to flexing on an obstacle. for instance. if you run softer springs in the front and firmer in the rear, your rig will roll over more easily when tackling an obstacle. on the flip side, if you run to soft of a spring in the rear, the sme can happen. tuning your springs is just that. tuning. it all comes down to testing. imo, no one can tell you "run this here and that there and your rig will run like a champ." you just have to test and tune to your rig design and your driving style.

hope that helps
rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Gearing and susp set-ups

Thanks for the advice. I'm designing a chassis for my clod and i'm trying to sort it out.
builder is offline   Reply With Quote

Gearing and susp set-ups - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear susp set ups boosterror Axial SCX-10 1 05-07-2011 09:19 PM
set ups rckid14 Team Losi Comp Crawler 2 10-25-2009 10:00 PM
Set ups wrightcs77 Team Losi Comp Crawler 11 06-17-2009 08:27 PM
some crawling pics/ susp. set-up downhillbkr247 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 1 09-28-2008 07:38 PM
susp. set up your Hl's tanner General Scale Talk 6 03-19-2008 01:17 AM