Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: trails and rocks, getting into the rc crawlin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 07:28 PM   #1

Default trails and rocks, getting into the rc crawlin

my brothers birthday is comeing up and im going to buy him one and myself, (he is 13, im 18 ) it will be for rocks, some trails, pretty much anything but water. i have a few q's. 1st. i am looking to spend under 200 + or - (Each) is it better to have solid axles or a-arms? what size scale is prefered for something like this? i also want soemthing that can be modified alot in the future......more questins to come. any help is greatly appreciated, Matt
always eating mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Buy yourself 2 tlt-1 kits. Build them up and then you can go from there. I suggest ultimatehobbies.com (but call them, not through the site) or there is another for the same price. That will run you $70*2=$140 for the pair.

Then you can expand the wheelbase by buying some brake line tubing (auto store) and all thread from Home Depot (or some hardware store).

You'll need to buy some radios, servos, motors and escs on top of that, but that'll be right around your price range.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

if you can find one,get a 1/18th nylint. they can be modded a whole lot and if you can find one they're really cheap.
JRmudmanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #4

are the tlt kits ready to run? i forgot to mention that im looking for soemthing that is ready to run, also, i have been looking into the clod busters alot, were can i get one? i can't find anyone online, also are they ready to run? how are the clodbusters and how are the nylints? pros/cons?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:08 PM   #5

i read up and found out that you need a 2 way servo, a 540 motor...what else is needed, and how hard is everything to install? about how much would everything needed cost?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

umm... i really hate to say it but you're not gonna get into r/c crawling rtr OR under $200... neither of them exist in this world... the chassis on one of my trucks is almost $200, my 2.2 class crawler is over $500 now... i dont wanna discourage you but its hard to get into this cheap man.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel
umm... i really hate to say it but you're not gonna get into r/c crawling rtr OR under $200...
Way to be supportive!!!

One way.................Nylints! Fun to play with, but .........well...............don't want to start a debate....................they are a toy. There, I said it!!

Second way.............I stole this from RD400, posted just last night.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD400
1. http://www.ultimatehobbies.com//p609.html

2. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXASX4**&P=0

3. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPR61&P=7

With these three things, you can have a running TLT for $197.93, plus shipping. This is the least expensive way to get a TLT.
BOOM! You can walk into the hobby for $200!
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #8

is that all i need those 3 things? if so im going to go for it, then new tires ect..... will it have enough power for some fun in the snow? and im trying to stay away from the nylant because my brother siad they are the 1 thing he dosn't want for his bday lol also what channels would i choose for the controler
Old 09-21-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

i stand corrected, sorry... maybe i should have been more specific, you cant get into competition level crawling for under $200
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by always eating mud
is that all i need those 3 things?
OOPS!! Just as I read that, I realized that something slipped my mind.................just as it probably just slipped RD400's mind.

A motor.

A 540 motor will run you anywhere from probably $5 to +/- $20. If you want to go with just a basic motor to get you going, post a thread in the "Wanted" section here on the forums requesting a "stock silver can motor." Just a guess, but I would bet that plenty of members here have quite a few of them sitting around that they would let go for about $5 (or possibly just for shipping to help out a fellow crawler). But, if you are interested in making a more permanent investment in a motor, lathe 540 motors sell for about $20.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 PM   #11

sounds good, how hard is it to hook the motor and all up, and btw this is just for some fun in the snow and whne my real rockcrawler (in teh process) breaksdown, also give us some bonding lol
Old 09-21-2006, 09:43 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRmudmanXJ
if you can find one,get a 1/18th nylint. they can be modded a whole lot and if you can find one they're really cheap.
Hell No,they will not old up.They have plastic internals.Plus the controls are not proportitonal.It's all or none.I say buy a TLT and build it stock,it's better than nothing.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:51 PM   #13

i plane on doing the tlt way as long as i can keep it under $230 each, then tires, i saw some called 2.2's i think online, how are they?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Here's a cheaper radio that works fine..saves you over 30 bucks than going with the 2PH.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCFW2**&P=7
wyattburp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #15

thanks, now i just gotta figur eout how hard it is to put all this together, any writeups?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #16