Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Delrin links??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2006, 06:24 AM   #1

Thumbs down Delrin links??

Hi i have seen that a few people have used Delrin for there links and was just wondering wot diameter you use? i am thinking of making my links out of it. do you think 8mm diameter would be thick enough? does it flex alot? is it easy to work with? and also can it be dyed? any infomation would be a great help
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman
Hi i have seen that a few people have used Delrin for there links and was just wondering wot diameter you use? i am thinking of making my links out of it. do you think 8mm diameter would be thick enough? does it flex alot? is it easy to work with? and also can it be dyed? any infomation would be a great help
What rig are they for?

I personally run 5/16" diameter on my 2.2 and 3/8" on my Super. It flexes a little which is good I think and it's really easy to work with.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:31 AM   #3

the links are for my 2.2 clod. i think i will go with the 3/8'' just to be on the safe side.

i am making a stick style chassis and was thinking of making the main chassis bar out of delrin to . it would be 13.5'' inches long and i would probably use a 3/4'' thick piece of delrin rod. do you think it would be to flexy? tell me wot you guys think
Old 10-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
MWRCA'er

If your links are shorter then 4 or 5 inches just go with the 5/16 stuff. The stuff does flex when its long but it's in no way excessive. They can be melted with a heat gun and bent if you want high clearance links. You can dye the white stuff well. Once you use delrin you'll never go back to alum. So easy to work with, lighter, slides over rock better and very durable to.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
the links are for my 2.2 clod. i think i will go with the 3/8'' just to be on the safe side.

i am making a stick style chassis and was thinking of making the main chassis bar out of delrin to . it would be 13.5'' inches long and i would probably use a 3/4'' thick piece of delrin rod. do you think it would be to flexy? tell me wot you guys think
Hello,

It just so happens that I sale Delrin links in three different material sizes and two different colors. Most people that get them for the first time simply love them. To elaborate a bit on what Bender said above a little link flex is definitely good as long as you don't end up with axle steer. We have found that with aluminum links we often break the threaded rod off that the rod end goes on due to no flex. We haven't broken one yet with Delrin links. As far as size goes we have many customers that are perfectly happy with 1/4" on their 12.5" wheelbase 2.2 crawlers due to the links being so short. I'd say if you are concerned at all about using the 1/4" Delrin links on your 2.2 just go ahead and use the 5/16" for the piece of mind. On a 14"er we would certainly recommend the 5/16" to 3/8" Delrin links. When it comes to a Super 3/8" or maybe even more would be in order. We do not recommend that you try 1/4" Delrin links on a Super as you will have way too much flex due to their long lengths.

David
Xtreme Rc Hobbies
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #6

thanks guy's all that information has helped alot . i am going to buy some 3/8'' and see how they hold up.

before i buy anything thou, wot do use guy's think of the main chassis idea? i think it would work ok and i aint seen it anywere else so i might just give it a try and see how it works out. i will post some pics when i finsh the build
Old 10-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
thanks guy's all that information has helped alot . i am going to buy some 3/8'' and see how they hold up.

before i buy anything thou, wot do use guy's think of the main chassis idea? i think it would work ok and i aint seen it anywere else so i might just give it a try and see how it works out. i will post some pics when i finsh the build
I think that as long as it's rigid you should be okay. If you have any lateral flex though you'll end up with axle steer which is not good at all. It's probably worth a try. If that doesn't work I'd give Carbon Fiber a try. It's used for powerfull gas helicopter tail booms so you know it's both very rigid and strong.

David,
Xtreme Rc Hobbies
Old 10-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i also have a question about delrin links...

do you use solid rod, or delrin tubing? i am tihnking about making my own links to mount a set of maxx axles to my SW2 and was wondering what was the best way to go.
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER
i also have a question about delrin links...

do you use solid rod, or delrin tubing? i am tihnking about making my own links to mount a set of maxx axles to my SW2 and was wondering what was the best way to go.
I think you're okay either way that you do it and there are advantages to both. We use solid Delrin rod for our links to keep the weight down as much as possible. The advantage to the tube with all-thread is that it is less likely to break out at the end of the Delrin under extreme punishment. We've had a few 6-32 rods break with the aluminum links due to their lack of flex. We haven't had a Delrin link fail to date or any report from any of our many customers of failure. With that said we opted to go for the weight savings of solid Delrin.

David