Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: White Associated Trans from RC10 (NOT stealth)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default White Associated Trans from RC10 (NOT stealth)

Anyone use a old white rc10 trans for a crawler?

I am building one now. Cannot find anyone else using one.

NissanNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanNut
\Cannot find anyone else using one.
You won't there's no way to lock the gears inside.:-(
Johnson420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

The AE manual states to remove the balls from spur gear to lock the diff. I have not tried it yet.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NissanNut
The AE manual states to remove the balls from spur gear to lock the diff. I have not tried it yet.

The trans has 6 gears in parallel rows (3 each) it has no real diff internally, it can not be locked like the stealth trans for AE. it is impossible. It is ono the do not used for crawling list of transmissions.
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

That would lock the slipper, not the diff.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

your best bet is to clean em up nice and pretty, inside and out and put them on ebay as antique rc10 transmission. they will sell very well, then you can get a good trans
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Doh!

Well I locked it up as the book stated and it seems to be locked. I think I locked it years ago when it was in the 2wd trucks. But It killed the run time and made it hard to turn on the tracks. So I unlocked it. I'll give it a shot, see what happens. I think I found a new stealth trans for free.

I already have it welded in the frame.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I'm guessing that the tranny could be locked by taking the balls out of the spur gear and using CA on the thrust bearing, but it is not really a great way to go about it. Do you have the car to go along with that tranny? If so, EBay the whole thing to get funds.

I don't want to sound down on your idea to use this, the old "where there's a will, there's a way" still applies, but it may just not be practical. With the six gear setup, you lose a ton of efficiency over a more modern tranny, not to mention that when the two little nylon gears wear out, you probably will never find another set. You know the ones with the itsy-bitsy screws to hold the bearing in place (how old am I to remember that?).
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

The cars are junk. Well worn. There not worth anything. I like how small the trans is I thought I would use it. It already has the black idlers with full bearings. All the other gears are steel. They are rare though. I still see the idlers for $5 at the local hobby store.

The next crawler will be the stealth.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Like I said, where there's a will...... , and there's nothing wrong with innovation, so don't take my comments the wrong way. You might be surprised at what those will get on ebay, especially the one with the narrow front end. People pay stupid amounts for stuff on there all the time. I see TLT axles going for the same price you can buy the complete kit for. I see complete TLT kits going for $20 more than you can get them from shops.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:43 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I just used the trans because they have been hanging in the garage for 15years. Its a nice little trans. Great ground clearance.

I never considered selling them. The narrow one is in better shape and is only missing the trans. Maybe I'll clean it up and put it on ebay and see what happens. Throw in the extra parts from the other one. I am just sick of seeing them sitting around. My Son keeps asking to play with them.

My friend just brought over a rc10T with the stealth trans. First time I have ever compared them side by side up close. I thought the stealth was allot taller. Its the same height but much skinner.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
That would lock the slipper, not the diff.
on the 6 gear trans, that is the diff. they didn't have a slipper. the stealth had an internal diff, with a external slipper.

nissan nut - if you really would want to use the 6 gear trans, you could maybe drill and tap the inner diff hub, and that way you could use screws to hold the spur gear on. and at the same time, you would be locking the entire trans. i'm not sure if the hub would hold up to the stress, though. the biggest problem with the 6 gear trans is it only has a 1.83 ratio. the org. stealth at least has a 2.25. you could also pick up an rpm stealth trans conversion and get it down to a 2.65.
EZduzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:04 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Cool thanks. I was curious what the ratio was. I was thinking about the two holes in the aluminum plates. But with just a spring its quite locked.

The AE manual states to lock the dif remove all grease and all balls from large gear. Theres no grease left.

Is the bolt pattern for the stealth and white trans the same? My buddy just brought over the whole rc10T and I forget to look underneath. I might be able to upgrade to a stealth without any mods to the chassis. My driveshafts have lots of slip in them.

I'll start a build it thread and post some pix.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

When I bought the old stealth conversion back in 8th grade I had to drill new holes in my chassis.

You guys are right about the balls, I can barely remember how the old 6 gear assembled even though I must have rebuilt it 20 times.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote