Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: semi noob with scaler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default semi noob with scaler

Ok well little background on me, ive been in and out of rc since about 02. had severel nitro touring cars and monster trucks. in 06ish i joined up here and decided to build a scale crawler. sooo i did hours of reading and research and ended going with the norm (at that time) tlt axles, custom c channel frame and a stampede trans, some narrowed pro line 2.2 wheels and masher 2k tires and a futaba ss3305 servo (i think thats the number)?

Well fast foward to today and im lost in the world of brushless and lipos, as well as my outdated equipment. So ive been doing my reading and research to kinda kick start a little revamp of my rig.

ive ordered some 1.9 beadlocks and tsl boggers from rc4wd as well as a novak goat 3s 18.5 brushless system. going to keep my tlt axles and pede trans until i absoulutely have to upgrade then ill just buy a scx10 dingo kit.

few questions i have....what should be my gearing with the novak system? i curently only have some nimh stick packs till i upgrade to some 2s lipos and new charger setup. just generel crawling and some wheelspeed for trail/muddy stuff

Thanks in advanced, ill try and get some pics up asap of what ive got so far
87bigblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 11:50 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: semi noob with scaler

Ive been doing this off and on since 1994. Back when 1200 mAh Nicd's and a 27 turn trinity was big budget. Use to race at the local roller rink. Didn't really get back into it hard core till about 4 years ago. I just a couple of weeks ago jumped to lipo. Don't feel lost. Its not as intimidating as it looks. I had some of those boggers. really really soft sidewalls. Only thing I can think of ..is.. does your pede trans have metal gears? Only brushless I have is my 4x4 slash. Its murder on anything plastic. Its good to know that im not the only old school just getting with the times. lol Good luck with your upgrades!!!
Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

no its just the stock gears with a locked diff. hopefully it wont shred it with the 18.5 turn motor. ive got a 19 turn trinity d5 flatline it now and ive had a 17turn reedy radon motor in it at one point and its holding up to that abuse
87bigblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Im assuming brushed motors..brushless is a whole different beast. The diff gear in those have plastic teeth over a metal housing for the planetary gears. And there's another plastic one in there as well. Under a lot of torque, it wont take long to kill those with a brushless. I suggest getting either a brushless ready pede trans to replace it or the metal gears themselves. A stock Traxxas verillion brushless will way out preform a 12 turn titan. Brushed motors cant hold a candle to a brushless. Ide say at least 2x the power. Plastic wont stand a chance. Just my thoughts.
Androtaz is offline   Reply With Quote

semi noob with scaler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venom as a 1.9 semi scaler anyone? bluenosegoat Venom Creeper 2 02-07-2011 06:20 PM
Creeper to semi-scaler? JustinThyme Venom Creeper 18 01-30-2011 02:51 PM
Hummer H3 semi Scaler nmanuel01 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 09-14-2008 02:37 PM
Scaler TLT/Maxx semi scaler? PICS!! chaman Chit Chat 2 09-29-2007 11:05 PM
Semi Scaler Jeep Nitro 2.2 Scale Rigs 28 01-29-2007 12:51 PM