Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axle problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Unhappy Axle problem

My truck has locking rear and front and all of a sudden on the last run it has switched itself to limited slip and wont crawl for crap, I don't know what happened it did just fine last run and now nadda. I haven't done any tinkering to the gears or axles yet (RTR MODEL) and I am just looking for some advice on what to look for, the axles are basically a generic Axial rear and front nylon cased, at the moment I can turn any given tire and wheel with ease and the other three don't turn as apposed to not being able to turn one hardly at all without them all clicking in the same direction, it's like something dis-engaged and it is now limited slip. No idea what could have changed.
RockBiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axle problem

It could be a number of things, check your hex's and pins in the end of each axle, it could also be broken axles or lockers or drive shafts slipping, have you checked the slipper clutch.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Still kinda new at this and terms, not sure what you mean by slipper clutch but I'm bout to start pulling it apart and look for mis haps, yet slipper clutch sounds like a potential problem do to what I'm dealing with.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Pulled the rear end I'm pretty sure something has gave out in the diff. I can hold both tires with very very little effort and turn them separate ways, locker appears to be toast I would think just from what I know about REAL 4x4's, just hoping I have metal gears in there and can weld the locker in place I guess, gotta get it to work where my good bench and small tools are to pull the housing apart at the diff to know for sure whats going on, Any input is more than welcome folks

Last edited by RockBiter; 07-15-2014 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

RC lockers aren't that complicated. They are literally a block of metal with a hole for each axle in them.

One can lock a traditional differential with glue, putty, all sorts of things but if your Axial came locked RTR, it's just a block.
Dukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:37 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I can help. First let me say I don't mean any disrespect or to sound unkind, but it looks like you're new here so I'll give you a few ideas to help you succeed in finding the answer to your problem, now and in the future.

When I read your post first thing I asked myself was:

Is this a tool or a procedure, because that's where your asking your question.

Did you try searching in the appropriate vehicle section?

Did you ask a question that tells us, the people you expect to receive an answer from: What type, make, model of vehicle you have? There are many (RTR MODEL) as far as I know.

This will most likely be moved to another section by a mod.

I have no idea if this is an axial rtr or exceed, Losi, whatever so I'm gonna say, it's broke... the locker is broke. take it apart and you'll find the broken parts, probably a good idea not to run until you investigate and replace the broken part.

I hope this helps
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockBiter View Post
not sure what you mean by slipper clutch..... , yet slipper clutch sounds like a potential problem do to what I'm dealing with.
Interesting, to say the least.

A slipper clutch generally goes between the spur gear and the transmission, and if something in your trans or driveline locks up, it is supposed to slip instead of breaking something downstream. A loose slipper clutch would interfere with your tires turning the motor, yes, but it wouldn't have any affect on the rest of the system.

If you're dealing with an Axial, and your front tires could turn independent of the rear tires, then I'd say look at the bottom gear in your transmission, broken driveshaft, or a broken pin in the old style 'green-bean' locker. If the tires on the same axle can turn in opposite directions, then you'd likely be looking at a blown locker, or snapped axle shaft. I've never seen an Axial axle come from the factory with the open diff gears installed, but I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility. If you're dealing with used stuff, someone in the past could have installed those gears, and whatever they did to lock them finally came undone.

Guess we'll have to wait for you to get them to work for a tear-down. Keep in mind, carnage pics are almost always appreciated.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:42 AM   #8
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
...I can turn any given tire and wheel with ease and the other three don't turn...
Have you ever taken the wheels off? If so, did you remember to put the pins back in the axle shafts before putting the hexes back on? I only ask because it seems odd to have lost drive to all 4 corners at the same time.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #9
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
.........., did you remember to put the pins back in the axle shafts before putting the hexes back on?
Good call, I forgot to list that possibility.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukk View Post
RC lockers aren't that complicated. They are literally a block of metal with a hole for each axle in them.

One can lock a traditional differential with glue, putty, all sorts of things but if your Axial came locked RTR, it's just a block.
This is the problem, the block that axles slide into is nylon and the holes for the axles that have two flat sides are rounded out/stripped. JB welding them in until I can find metal blocks or new front and rear diffs that have metal locker blocks. So the upgrades begin, thanks gang for all the good info. BTW my truck is a 1/10 Pangolin Crawler by HSP, nothing fancy by any means but a good starting platform for a Newb, plenty of room for modding and from what I gather parts can be replaced with Axial gear.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
RCC Addict

so you have this guy here:

HSP Pangolin Rock Crawler (1/10 Green & Yellow) - HeliPal

It's basically an AX10. My guess is a lot of the info found in the ax10 section should cross over in regards to upgrades to the axles and transmission, the rest of the stuff outside of that is very universal. Maybe the first upgrade should be something like the locked up Fi spool, or grip fab. Consider a rear straight axle setup.
I added a few links of products to consider. I'm not saying go out and buy this stuff, or that it will definitely fit, but I would consider them pretty good upgrades that might fit.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...-fi-spool.html

GripFab "Grip-Lok" Locker!!

can't forget this guy here:
GCM LAST Lockers for Axial Trucks

axials version:
Axial AX10 SCX10 HEAVY DUTY DIFF LOCKER (2)

Axial AX30421 Straight Axle 6x104 50mm (2)

Axial Plastic Rear Axle Lockout (2)

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ot-shafts.html

good luck

EDIT: Is it too late to undo the JB weld? The axles are still usable if you get a metal locker, if they've been welded then most likely going to not usable later.

Last edited by rockhugger; 07-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

thanks a ton Rockhugger for the links, one axle done one to go, any bets on what craps itself apart next? Drive shafts, Transfer case?

Last edited by RockBiter; 07-16-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Well the welded up lockers are super smooth and working great, but that torque will have to give eventually somewhere else down the line only more run time will tell.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

[QUOTE=rockhugger

EDIT: Is it too late to undo the JB weld? The axles are still usable if you get a metal locker, if they've been welded then most likely going to not usable later.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm impressed and depressed at the same time, apparently JB weld does not bond well to nylon, and these brushless motors make mad torque, it twisted the JB right out of the nylon locker and turned into shards and dust and I'm not even running a LiPo yet. Bonus that the dog bones are cleaned now, downside, gotta get metal lockers before more play time can happen. If it will fit (and pretty sure it looks like it would) I like the looks of that "Last Locker".

Last edited by RockBiter; 07-17-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

If you need to undo J B Weld ...... Use hammer. Tapping lightly. Not joking.
im gunna crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Set screw lockers like the gcm work really well when set up properly but can be a hassle to get right. They are even harder with the ax10 style case instead of a ar60 axle.
spookyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookyseven View Post
Set screw lockers like the gcm work really well when set up properly but can be a hassle to get right. They are even harder with the ax10 style case instead of a ar60 axle.
That's why I love my spools
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I got some Axial cheapy metal lockers and bell housing from my local shop, just had to hit the dog bones on my diamond wheel at work a little bit and they seem to work awesome for a $21 buy and they screwed right in so gtg for now.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I got some Axial cheapy metal lockers and bell housing from my local shop, just had to hit the dog bones on my diamond wheel at work a little bit and they seem to work awesome for a $21 buy and they screwed right in so gtg for now.
Good to hear you got the locker figured out. I have a friend with a modded pangolin and I can tell you almost all ax10 parts will interchange. After his lockers stripped the next part to have issue were the stock plastic drivelines and hex pins. His also didn't come with a slipper clutch so it's fully locked all through the drivetrain. That being said if a tire gets in a really bad bind it can twist the stock axle shafts too. The battery location sucks but you can attach it under they tray with a Velcro strap for better cog. Hope this info helps.

This is how my friends looks. Crawls everywhere as my other buddies heavily modded deadbolt.
Crawlin' Lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlin' Lobster View Post
Good to hear you got the locker figured out. I have a friend with a modded pangolin and I can tell you almost all ax10 parts will interchange. After his lockers stripped the next part to have issue were the stock plastic drivelines and hex pins. His also didn't come with a slipper clutch so it's fully locked all through the drivetrain. That being said if a tire gets in a really bad bind it can twist the stock axle shafts too. The battery location sucks but you can attach it under they tray with a Velcro strap for better cog. Hope this info helps.

This is how my friends looks. Crawls everywhere as my other buddies heavily modded deadbolt.
Thanks a ton for that info lobster, Nice lookin Pangol. and ya they really do well for a cheaper model I love mine so far.

Axle problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody Had This Axle Problem? donny8594 Redcat Crawlers 14 05-10-2012 01:56 AM
Rear axle problem tinycrites Axial Wraith 7 03-04-2012 08:45 AM
Axle problem Bigsky Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 12-22-2009 07:14 PM
Axle C's and knuckle problem 8500lbs Tamiya TLT Crawlers 8 07-25-2007 12:48 PM
front axle problem itayotathing13 General Crawlers 6 10-14-2005 03:31 PM