Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Quick Intro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 12:37 PM   #1

Default Quick Intro

Hey folks, I was steered towards this forum by a coworker of mine at a LHS. I'm looking to develop a more rounded knowledge base of RC, so it's time to get into things with wheels rather than just things with propellors.

I'm not really into speed or drifting, so I figured crawlers are right up my alley... probably be able to get my 13 year old interested as well. I plan on picking up either an Axial Honcho or 2012 Jeep Rubicon RTR but am undecided as to which yet. Debating on whether I like aluminum skid plate and lights more than the Jeep "trail rated" medallion. I'm sure it will be a decidion made at the store by my kid.

Anywhoo, I look forward to lurking, learning and asking the occasional "wholly crap I can't believe he asked that stupid question" question.

Thanks for letting me learn from your knowledge pool!
Stradawhovious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Quick Intro

Welcome! I'm a noob here and to rc'ing but this place rocks! I've got to say though, check out the vaterra ascender, they are sweet. I've got the ready to run one and absolutely love it!
Be
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradawhovious View Post
Hey folks, I was steered towards this forum by a coworker of mine at a LHS. I'm looking to develop a more rounded knowledge base of RC, so it's time to get into things with wheels rather than just things with propellors.

I'm not really into speed or drifting, so I figured crawlers are right up my alley... probably be able to get my 13 year old interested as well. I plan on picking up either an Axial Honcho or 2012 Jeep Rubicon RTR but am undecided as to which yet. Debating on whether I like aluminum skid plate and lights more than the Jeep "trail rated" medallion. I'm sure it will be a decidion made at the store by my kid.

Anywhoo, I look forward to lurking, learning and asking the occasional "wholly crap I can't believe he asked that stupid question" question.

Thanks for letting me learn from your knowledge pool!
welcome.. for a trail truck starter >> this link of thread might help you

below is what I copied from it..
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Everybody’s Scalin’ – Recommendation For Your First Scaler

Without a doubt, the absolute number one type of question we get from readers is “What vehicle should I get?”, or a slight variation of that. If you’ve ever read our Thursday “Ask Cubby” thing then you know what I’m talking about.

With tax return season in full swing I figure now is a good time to answer the variation of the aforementioned question that I get the most – “I want to try scale crawling and am wondering what’s the best vehicle to start out with?”. While many manufacturers offer good stuff, I have a “go-to” answer that I always give.

Get an Axial Deadbolt SCX10. You can thank me later. To me, this is an absolute no brainer. Let me explain why.

Affordability

For a street price of $299 (even cheaper than that in some places or after discounts) you are getting a whole lot of truck for the money. The AE-5 ESC is a nice piece, the motor is plenty torquey, the tires are quality R35 compound Trepadors, it has a decent servo and it’s waterproof. Other SCX10s in the lineup boast similar or more features, but at this price I think it’s the best value in scaling.

It’s Tough & Capable Out of the Box

The truck is a great performer right out of the box. All of those things I mentioned in the affordability part come to roost here. You have a truck that, within 5 minutes of opening the box, can handle the rigors of a RECON G6 style competition. It needs zero modification to work great, save for perhaps changing out the Tamiya-style battery plug on the ESC. As with all the others in the SCX10 line, it can take a massive beating without breaking.

Aftermarket

The aftermarket for the SCX10 is near an early 2000’s Traxxas T-Maxx level as far as manufacturer zeitgeist. If you decide you really enjoy scaling and want to trick out your truck, you do not need to upgrade platforms. Parts support is also very strong with most hobby shops worth their salt now stocking Axial product.

Good Used Market

Hey, scaling isn’t for everyone. If it’s not for you then at least you’ll find it’s really easy to offload an SCX10 without totally losing your lunch. That also means you can usually score a good condition used one for a fair price!

Let me end with a recommendation for something you probably SHOULD NOT do. If you buy a cheap off-brand truck just remember that most of the time you get what you pay for. Paying around $150 for a vehicle that immediately needs another $100 in upgrades to be trail-able and that lacks any sort of parts support seems like a terrible proposition to me, but to each his own. I just know that from my years of hardcore scaling you can spend a few dollars to buy once or go thrifty and buy twice.
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:51 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Welcome Stradawhovious from another Twin City LHS Employee in Little Canada. Like I tell my customers I can't pick the truck that is right for you, go with the one that peaks your interest most and you keep comparing everything else to it and it seams to always be better in your own mind. I started with the Vaterra K5 Blazer as my re-entry into RC Trucks coming back to earth from the Heli world, and now I also have a Wraith Poison Spyder and doing a full on custom build based on a wraith for U4ing.
Come on down and visit us in the MN section here on the funny pages Midwest - Minnesota at RCCrawler.com .
Bry73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:26 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome folks. We ended up getting the Honcho RTR because my kid liked the skidplate and the lights... and I liked the $30 less... and my kid promptly spent the next hour terrorizing the dogs in the back yard with it. Tough little buggar, that one... and I can't wait to find it some real obstacles!
Stradawhovious is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Intro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A quick hello and intro. Team Rawlings Newbie General 1 06-13-2015 04:09 PM
My intro to G6! Tgreer Axial Wraith 22 02-02-2014 12:27 PM
Intro and hello zukrider Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 03-02-2010 08:49 AM
Intro DeSiRe@BMI Newbie General 10 03-25-2008 10:21 AM
Quick Intro Roketcooper Chit Chat 2 04-18-2007 08:24 PM