Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Opinions on motor???? Axial wraith spawn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Opinions on motor???? Axial wraith spawn

Ok, I've been bashing around with my wraith spawn and it just doesn't have enough torque for what I want most of the time. Thinking of changing motors. Mostly used in heavy rocky areas, with steep inclines. Someone had suggested at the hobby shop changing to a 27 turn vs the stock 20 turn. Just looking for some opinions on what would be good.
Bugs Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Opinions on motor???? Axial wraith spawn

In brushed I lean towards a 30t. Holmes has Torquemaster 30t Sport motors on sale for $25, a good price for a nice motor. You will notice quite a drop in wheel speed from 20t, if you're running 2s batteries, you may consider going to 3s, and if that's not enough, you might consider joining the brushless dark side
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Stickies are your friend:
Choosing a motor and ESC for your Wraith - Gearing Added!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ok. Well I started reading the "sticky" and after about 20 pages of the 90+ pages it made my head hurt. So I think I'm even more confused than I was before.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Cliff notes: stock motor is cheap and weak. A decent (read: rebuildable open endbell) 30-35 turn will offer better crawlibility and a bit more power. Don't expect much more, if any more, wheel speed.

Sounds to me like you want 3s power. That'll give you 50% more top speed without sacrificing crawlibility. Motor life will however shorten by nearly 50%, more if you don't gear down a bit.

Currently it's hard to beat the sportsmaster 30 turn for $25, but that may not last much longer.

What are you running for gearing? The stock gearing is more suited to bashing at speed in open areas and works the motor much harder than needed when rockcrawling.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

x2 to what meatmonkey says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs Crawler View Post
Ok. Well I started reading the "sticky" and after about 20 pages of the 90+ pages it made my head hurt. So I think I'm even more confused than I was before.
No need to read all 90+...the first few pages are enough. As a general rule of thumb, and holding all else equal (gearing, voltage, brand of motor, ESC, etc.), higher turns = more torque but less wheel speed. If you stay brushed, going up to 27t or 35t will give you more torque but lower wheel speed. You'd notice a bigger difference going to 35t than 27t. To get the wheel speed back, you'd need to go up to 3s and gear down (i.e., lower pinion) to avoid overheating the motor (which you should do anyway). The Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster line uses a 5-slot armature instead of 3-slot, so the 16t is equivalent to a 35t. Ultimately, how far you go (i.e., 27t vs 35t or, if you go with a Crawlmaster, 13t vs 16t) is really up to your preference. If you go 3s, you may need to make some other upgrades to handle the added power and wheel speed.

I found when I got back into the hobby after 20+ years away (lots has changed) that there was no substitute for reading up, even though it can make the head hurt at first (and some things still make my head hurt). For most of these types of questions, there really is no right answer. There are a variety of options with pros and cons. Reading up is the best way to get an understanding of those options so that you can pick one that is more likely to fit your preference. The times I chose to rely on advice from an expert early on without understanding the options & trade-offs, I was just as likely to be disappointed as happy with the result. Hope that helps.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Meat monkey. I'm still running stock gearing and stock 20 turn motor. I'm starting to figure some things out since doing a little more research. Gonna get some $$$$$ together and hopefully make the right choice..

Opinions on motor???? Axial wraith spawn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Wraith Spawn Foams raider89 Axial Wraith 7 06-05-2015 06:02 PM
Axial 27T Motor good on stock gearing Wraith Spawn? raider89 Axial Wraith 4 06-04-2015 03:38 PM
Axial Wraith Spawn Gurz29 Axial Wraith 9 01-09-2015 10:26 PM