Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help me get started please....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #1

Default Help me get started please....

So I'm ready to order my first crawler. I have decided to go with a Wraith because I feel like it's a lot more capable than the SCX10. Honestly I like the SCX10 better only because of the realistic look and body options but I'm afraid for at home playing with my toddler the Wraith will be better when it comes to "running over" obstacles he may find entertaining. *** Please correct me if I'm wrong!
As you answer these questions please keep in mind that I'm limited to purchasing from tower hobbies because I'll be utilizing the Easy Pay program.

I know that RTR is the easiest way to go but I really want to build one from the ground up so I'm leaning towards the Spawn Kit. Plus I like the idea of the aluminum upgrades that a kit comes with. I'm just struggling with what components to put in it.
When it comes to motor, I want what I'm sure everyone wants... The best of both worlds. :-) But seriously, I'd like to have good torque and smooth start up but at the same time know I've got enough wheel speed on tap for getting over tough obstacles as well as having a little fun on open trails, yard, snow, etc.
Then comes ESC to compliment said motor. Have no idea about that either. I've read a lot of places that the stock Axial ESC is pretty decent until you make major motor upgrades.
Steering servo I think I have figured out. There's a hi-tech on TH for $40 with around 164oz torque that I think will do me fine.
Then comes RX/TX. I think I want at least 3 channel in case I add lights, winch, dig, or something like that later. Just don't know if I'm safe starting out with a relatively cheap used Traxxas setup or something like that. Suggestions please...
I plan on upgrading steering linkage day one. I assume a better servo horn is a must as well.
Any other words of wisdom? I'm not afraid to spends a little money now to same some later but I'm also on definitely on a budget. (AXA - I'm married)

Thanks for all your help guys! I'm super excited about getting into this hobby and it hopefully becoming something my son and I spend a lot of time doing together.
jmyer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help me get started please....

Just about all your questions can be answered in the "Wraith" section. Check out stickies 2 thru 5.
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

3 cell lip batteries, Tekin or Sidewinder electronic speed controler (at least 3cell capable), Spektrum DX4C DSMR 4CH Transmitter / Radio w SR410 Receiver
Pat M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Motor, I'd go with a Holmes Torquemaster 30t sport on sale for $25.

I'd definitely go with a better servo, 300oz is really bare minimum for a 2.2 rig, 400+ even better.

ESC, the Axial AE-2 works fine and can be had relatively cheap used. Not a big fan of the AE-5.

RX/TX, the Tactic TTX300 that comes on newer Axial RTRs isn't bad, can be had for about $35 new.
HahnsB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:08 PM   #5

Thanks man!!

I found a new AE-2 on eBay for $40
Best I can find on the Tactic is $50 but I'm okay with that
Any suggestions on specific servos.
jmyer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

If you are on a tight budget, the solar D772 servo is metal gears, ball bearings, and high voltage (7.4v). These are about $25 and have around 400oz torque at 7.4v IIRC. You will also want a BEC for higher torque servos.

Hobbyking has some inexpensive lipo batteries, I use the Zippy brand and have had very good luck with these.

The classifieds on here is another good place to find some upgrades a little cheaper.
TrailSnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HahnsB2 View Post
Motor, I'd go with a Holmes Torquemaster 30t sport on sale for $25.

I'd definitely go with a better servo, 300oz is really bare minimum for a 2.2 rig, 400+ even better.

ESC, the Axial AE-2 works fine and can be had relatively cheap used. Not a big fan of the AE-5.

RX/TX, the Tactic TTX300 that comes on newer Axial RTRs isn't bad, can be had for about $35 new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailSnail View Post
If you are on a tight budget, the solar D772 servo is metal gears, ball bearings, and high voltage (7.4v). These are about $25 and have around 400oz torque at 7.4v IIRC. You will also want a BEC for higher torque servos.

Hobbyking has some inexpensive lipo batteries, I use the Zippy brand and have had very good luck with these.

The classifieds on here is another good place to find some upgrades a little cheaper.
I've had good luck with Turnigy and SMC lipos.

If you're using TH EasyPay I'd suggest something like SCX10 Deadbolt or Vaterra Ascender, the Wraith gets expensive very quickly because it requires lots of upgrades more quickly than these other crawlers in order to be durable ime....you'll need to double the purchase price of Wraith to get where it should be and this is a sensible middle of the road build cost.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:30 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I know you would like to build your own. But if you are just getting started and don't have stockpile of rc stuff like batteries and chargers, tx/rx I would recommend starting with a rtr. Don't worry about the aluminum hop up parts and don't worry about getting to building it. You will take the rtr apart plenty of times and you will be making your own part(like links) for a fraction of the cost of store bought parts

If something breaks you then replace it. But a stock axial rtr is very durable if driven with a bit of respect. Both the wraith and scx10 are very capable. You will have a bit more ground clearance and a wider Stance with the Wraith. But if you set up the sxc10 up right with weight and balance it will go almost anywhere a wraith will
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:55 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

One more thought

no matter what you get, kit or RTR, Wraith or scx....you need a set of beadlocks. For me the stock axial beadlocks work fine. But if you want to change weight in the tires or just change tires it make life so much easier
Old 11-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If you need a cheap TX/RX that works really good
FLY SKY FS-GT3B Digital 3-Channel 2.4ghz TX & RX LCD Transmitter & Receiver

I have used them and both my kids have used them. I liked them because if my kids droped them they were only $40. Plus I got 3 of them for 1/2 the price I paid for my MT4 and extra rx's are $8 not $60

Help me get started please.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just getting started coilwolf Newbie General 18 01-21-2012 09:55 AM
I need help getting started poor crawler Newbie General 4 08-21-2007 08:34 PM
getting started hpirulez90 Newbie General 2 01-25-2007 06:37 PM