Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Help with a decision.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Help with a decision.

okay, so i've currently got a 1/18th nylint that's been apart on the workbench for a while now (bout 3 months). i'm currently married and in college so money is short and luxuries like rc stuff are sometimes few and far between. but i was thinking of spending a little money ($100 or so total) on the hobby and have been doing a lot of searching and thinking about what i should do. i was hoping some of you guys could help me out with the decision...and while doing so not start a flame fest...this isn't about which crawler is better or anything...just about what i should do.

i like the nylint just fine, but i also needed to mod it (partially b/c i like fooling around and building and partially b/c it needed to crawl a lil better). i understand that the nylint is just a toy and when you take everything off of it except the axles and go with HB grade stuff the weak point is the axle, which is still a toy unfortunately :-( i also understand that i don't want tons of money tied up into what at the end of the day still equates to a "toy" (sure hobby sounds better ).

the equipment i've currently got: moped ESC, 6 and 7 cell HB batteries, traxxas 2055 servo, traxxas tq2 rx/tx, and 4 super nitro rs4 wheels

choice 1: go with joesbruiser's chassis (seen here new build and here A few nylint crawling pics), put the HB grade stuff together, get some new tires...i'm out the price of the chassis plus tires, but i've still got a nylint with the possibility of axle failure.

choice 2: buy a tlt kit, use the ESC, servo and wheels i've got, buy new turnbuckles to stretch it, new motor, new tires...i'm out the price of the kit, turnbuckles, tires, and a motor (which could mean that i'm having to delay getting the thing running til i can funnel a little money into it), but i've got a strong base for some more mods (pede, better servo, better chassis, etc) but i'm also going to be stuck driving the thing around with only slight mods or with it in pieces on the parts table while i'm waiting on funds. sure i can sell the nylint stuff but i don't expect to get but maybe $20 out of the axles and i can sell some of the extras from the tlt kit and maybe make a little money back, but i'm not sure how much. another bonus of the tlt kit is i really like the scale look it has.

i'm at a crossroads because i like building them, but i like driving them too...and i want to have something i can build/drive too, not something that's going to be poorly built and break down w/o replacements available or be too expensive that i can never get it done and enjoy it.

i'll take any constructive help/comments. i'm new at this stuff but i'm really liking all the really cool looking builds you guys show off. thanks for any/all replies
payableondeath6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

I say go TLT route. Start small with what u have and improve with time. I have a 1:6th Nylint and a 2.2 Bulu 3 TLT-1 and both are great but at the end of the day the 2.2 will out perform.

You can also save the $100 in a can and wait until u have another $100 to spare and start then. Rebuild the Nylint and use that for now to get yo crawl'in in.

I too am married and have a 14 month old son, so money is tight (of course I just spent $500 on Ebay for my two crawlers two weeks ago, don't tell the wife lol) I always tell the wife that the RC's (I have 6 now T4, B4, RC18T, Savage 25 RTR and my two crawlers) are for my son when he gets old enough. LOL
Savrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savrunner
I say go TLT route. Start small with what u have and improve with time. I have a 1:6th Nylint and a 2.2 Bulu 3 TLT-1 and both are great but at the end of the day the 2.2 will out perform.

You can also save the $100 in a can and wait until u have another $100 to spare and start then. Rebuild the Nylint and use that for now to get yo crawl'in in.

I too am married and have a 14 month old son, so money is tight (of course I just spent $500 on Ebay for my two crawlers two weeks ago, don't tell the wife lol) I always tell the wife that the RC's (I have 6 now T4, B4, RC18T, Savage 25 RTR and my two crawlers) are for my son when he gets old enough. LOL
thanks for the advice...sounds like you know where i'm coming from (wife, house, college, etc).

i'd love to put that money somewhere and save it...but chances are it'll get spent one way or another...only way to ensure i get to use it would be to spend it now so if that means buying something and having it sit, that may be what i have to do.

if i spent $500 on crawlers i'd be castrated...although since i just got her a new puppy i could probably sneak a lil' over $100 and i wouldn't run into much trouble.

TOTAL:
TLT: 2 (joesbruiser also voted tlt)
Nylint: 0

Thanks, still curious as to what others recommend.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

tlt kit and use your colleges engeneering dept if they have one and totally hand make your stuff. search your city classifieds or on craigslist for pede rustler or a bandit. theyre cheeeep there. get used wheels and tires off here for like 20 bucks. theres ways around spending money. i feel why buy it if you can make it.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

don't really have time to hang out in the machine shop (although i am an engineering major), but that's a good idea. i've checked local stuff and it's really hard to find anything around here...craigslist is good, just haven't run into anything i want yet.

TOTAL:
TLT: 3
Nylint: 0

looks like people are leaning me more toward the TLT, i just would hate to get something that i can't afford to mod and ends up being less fun (stock form) than my Nylint option would have been. although i think i'd like to have a kit to build on, in my spare time

Last edited by payableondeath6; 01-05-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

tlt is the way to go you can get it stock for 70 bucks and then when you can buy a kit for it there 60 to 150 i think this is a nice kit for it....

http://www.junfac.com/conversion_tracer.htm

you can get it at www.thecrawlerstore.com for 100
shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

well it looks like i'll try to sell the nylint...that'll give me a little time to save up some money for the tlt stuff and hopefully i can get some decent money out of the nylint too. hopefully after everything's said and done i will have a TLT kit and about $75-100 to do some modding with. hopefully.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

looks like i might have the nylint sold...here in a week i should be looking for some used tlt stuff or if i can't find a decent price on any of that stuff i'll be ordering a tlt kit from ultimate i guess. i really want to make a half-way scale version of my 1:1

Except obviously 4wd and SFA
Old 01-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Good call on getting rid of the Nylint.
Ford eeehh, to all their own.

You should be able to do pretty well for around 100 extra bones and make whatever you can.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

dag on...now i read some stuff on these wheelie kings and i'm debating getting one of those. it'd be rtr and then when they release the parts i can make it 4wd too.

what should i do now? dag on, i think i've made up my mind then something totally new comes around.