Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tire treatments?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Default Tire treatments?

In racing we use additives to our tires to soften them and get better grip.
WD40 is very poplar for softening tires.

Do crawlers use such additives or is it against the rules?
Gene Hobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tire treatments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Hobbs View Post
In racing we use additives to our tires to soften them and get better grip.
WD40 is very poplar for softening tires.

Do crawlers use such additives or is it against the rules?
I sauced the stock Treps that came with my Wrangler G6 kit a couple time because those things a reall hard. Seemed like they felt a little softer, but I can't say it made a huge difference in grip.

What did make a difference is switching them out for Pitbull Rock Beasts.
Dwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I've seen a few posts about comp crawlers doing it. If memory serves me there is a vendor for it.

Ksh team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
Custom Carbon Fiber

Careful with automotive or other petroleum based spays. We use to use them years ago with the harder rubber compounds.

A buddy of mine use Bug and Tar remover spray and it softened the tires up so much they actually swelled up.

Not speaking for scale or kit tires but most comp tires these days have incredible compounds that work well with out additives. Just something to think about.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I used to sauce tires when I raced onroad, but you had to clean them after every heat with brake cleaner, then re-apply the sauce a while before the next heat. The effects of the compounds seemed to wear off pretty quickly. I don't know if you're comp crawling or just doing scale runs. Saucing the tires before a 7-min course on rocks might work but I don't know if it is worth it for scale.

Like Dwill said, maybe a better tire is in your future. I'm still using the 1.9 Rock beasts and they are AMAZING, but a little short for some people. Heard the Ottsix KLR's are great too.
joe.bielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Yeah I'm not sure how well saucing crawler tires goes. With racing, tires are discarded pretty quickly and you have to treat them pretty rigorously with the stuff.

Comp crawler tires are made to have the softest compound possible yet still crawl better as they get broken in over time. IMO the best "treatment" for them is just to wash with 50/50 simple green/water out of the bag and then sand over the surface a little bit. That'll surely get rid of any mold release and give them a little bit of "break in" to start with.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:09 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Yeah I'm not sure how well saucing crawler tires goes. With racing, tires are discarded pretty quickly and you have to treat them pretty rigorously with the stuff.

Comp crawler tires are made to have the softest compound possible yet still crawl better as they get broken in over time. IMO the best "treatment" for them is just to wash with 50/50 simple green/water out of the bag and then sand over the surface a little bit. That'll surely get rid of any mold release and give them a little bit of "break in" to start with.
This is what I do, but I use as hot a water as comes out of the fawcet after letting it run to get hot, then pour about a cup of Simple Green per gallon of water, soak a day and then scrub with teflon safe pad, rinse with plain water, dry and mount with Crawler Innovations foams.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tire treatments? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire poll...im gonna let rcc vote my next tire gsrcivic Tires and Wheels 57 10-22-2013 07:05 PM
Pin Tire with Comp Tire Sidewall - How To Write up Kraqa Tires and Wheels 16 08-27-2010 11:55 PM
high lift tire and hummer tire comparison luis Tires and Wheels 2 01-11-2008 06:56 PM
Tire treatments maxboostbusa Tires and Wheels 5 12-21-2006 04:56 PM