Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie Build: CC-01 Land Cruiser 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 05:06 AM   #1

Default Newbie Build: CC-01 Land Cruiser 40

Hello Everyone,

Newbie here who recently built a CC-01; Land Cruiser 40. I was a Tamiya fan back in the day, with my first and only RC build being a Hornet in the late 80's. I now find myself interested in scale RC and wanted to build a rig for trail use. Obviously, there are other manufacturer / chassis kits out there that are more capable, but I wanted to build a Tamiya more for nostalgia.

The Land Cruiser 40 was a lot of fun to build and I'm sure will be a blast out on the trail! Here are a few pics (still need to trim down the front body posts):

Stock kit w/ the following upgrades: RC4WD 55T Motor, Full Bearing Set, Junfac Skid Plate, Locked Front / Rear Diffs, eBay sourced wheels & tires.

Let me know what you guys think of my build. I'm really looking forward to reading all of the interesting threads on this site and learning about the hobby!

Thanks, Eric

Last edited by Scooter80; 05-01-2016 at 05:31 AM. Reason: More Detail
Scooter80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Newbie Build: CC-01 Land Cruiser 40

Welcome and well done. Sounds like we followed similar paths, only a couple of years apart. My first and only RC as a kid was also a Hornet, but in the mid 80s, and I got back into the hobby a couple of years ago with another Tamiya (TT-01 with 3-Series body) before getting hooked on scale off-road trucks. Check out some of OSRC's CC01 builds in that section here and also his CC01 thread on UltimateRC. He's done some incredible stuff with this platform.

Keep up the great work and feel free to ask away if you have questions.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

Awesome looking truck. It probably won't be your only crawler. These things are insanely fun and addicting to build and drive. Tamiya makes the absolute best kits to build.

Once you get bored with the stock performance of the CC-01 there are lots of mods you can do to make it more capable. Should you want to do that, check out the CC-01 section on here. new2rocks is right about OSRC's CC-01s. His CC-01s will hang right with other trucks on the trail. The "brick" mod (removing the big "brick" of plastic in the front) and moving the front mount of rear links up to the side of the frame rails are good places to start.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:39 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Looks great, welcome to RCC! Something about building Tamiya kits that's fun and addicting, my first was a Tamiya Falcon in 1986. As these guys said, OSRC builds some really sweet scale CC01s.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #5

All,

Thanks for the welcome and kind comments on my build. The CC-01 was definitely fun build and brought back great memories of when my Dad and I built the Tamiya Hornet kit back in the 80's!

As recommended, I'll have to check out OSRC's CC-01 builds! I just finished the Land Cruiser 40, so I'm anxious to take it out on the trail and see how it does. Prior to starting on the kit, I did a lot of build research on-line and added the Fast Eddy bearing kit, 55T motor and locked the diffs during the process. I figured that I might as well take care of those items during the build, rather than have to go back later. Also, rather than mount the stock wheels and hard compound tires, I opted for the steel-wheel look w/ softer compound tires. I really like how these look on the rig!

I've been watching a lot of CC-01 trail run videos on YouTube. It's amazing how real these rigs look out on the trails!

Thanks, Eric
Scooter80 is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie Build: CC-01 Land Cruiser 40 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40: Beginner's Build eddievedder 1.9 Scale Rigs 41 02-12-2020 08:28 AM
Prepare to build Land Cruiser chungangus Tamiya CR-01 1 05-29-2015 06:40 AM
Land Cruiser build clutch Tamiya CR-01 8 01-28-2010 11:21 PM
Land Cruiser FJ80 L-Trail 1.55 Build Just Zach General Scale Talk 10 09-15-2009 08:31 AM