Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Slipper for SCX10? Is it necessary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #1

Default Slipper for SCX10? Is it necessary?

Hello!

I have a kit-built SCX10 but I'm not very familiar with the crawling scene, though. The SCX10 is constructed with an adjustable slipper clutch.

SSD has created the really nice looking scale transmission that I'm very interested in. However, looking at the installation instructions, it replaces the slipper clutch.

My concern is, should I be worried?

I have a limited understanding of the mechanics involved, so I'm not sure what impact removing the slipper has. Is there a risk of burning up the motor if the wheels cannot turn when the throttle is pressed?
Reyhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Slipper for SCX10? Is it necessary?

There is pros and cons to both methods and you'll find both methods are fairly common.

I run a slipper but I keep it quite tight. I like to have it in place as sort of 'fuse' in the driveline. As long as it is kept fairly tight, it won't break free prematurely, but the theory is that it will break free before you twist driveshafts or strip gears (probably won't burn up the motor)..

I also have a couple rigs that don't have a slipper. For those ones I run plastic spur gears to create a fuse in the system.

As far as the SSD tranny, a lot of guys run without a slipper so it's completely doable. I would just be careful with throttle when she gets bound up...

Last edited by QuesoDelDiablo; 09-16-2016 at 08:19 AM.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Yeah, by all means runs you can run without a slipper. If its bound up bad, just pick it up. Basically if you are giving it throttle and its not going, it could hurt the motor.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
There is pros and cons to both methods and you'll find both methods are fairly common.

I run a slipper but I keep it quite tight. I like to have it in place as sort of 'fuse' in the driveline. As long as it is kept fairly tight, it won't break free prematurely, but the theory is that it will break free before you twist driveshafts or strip gears (probably won't burn up the motor)..

I also have a couple rigs that don't have a slipper. For those ones I run plastic spur gears to create a fuse in the system.

As far as the SSD tranny, a lot of guys run without a slipper so it's completely doable. I would just be careful with throttle when she gets bound up...
This is the perfect answer! (: Exactly what I wanted to hear, and a detailed "why".

I appreciate your fuse-analogy. It's like using a sacrificial anode (is that the correct English translation) on a boat - you select a cheap and easily replacable part to take the punishment.
Reyhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Slippers protect the weakest link in the drivetrain from damage. If you have built your rig to be strong the slipper serves no purpose what so ever. That said I do not own a slipper equipped rig and I do not break.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I super glue all my slipper pads together. I'd rather not slip and just break something once a year
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slipper clutch, ssd, transmission

Slipper for SCX10? Is it necessary? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RR Gen 3 Slipper, slipping in my SCX10??? Spork_Assassin Axial SCX-10 10 01-03-2014 06:42 PM
Slipper clutch on scx10 jray Newbie General 7 10-09-2013 03:15 PM