Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Gearing a sensorless combo for crawling?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Gearing a sensorless combo for crawling?

Recently while out on the trail i have heard guys talking about using non sensored motors for crawling. Specifically the castle stuff. This intrigued me as i have a sv3/4 pole combo sitting on the shelf. I always assumed from my experience in racing that a non sensored system will cog and is useless for crawling. So i looked here and didnt specifically find what i was looking for.

So i ask you this,maybe some will know. Can you gear a Castle Sidewinder and a Castle 4 pole motor for crawling in a scx10? Is there something you can change within the esc to make it work well?

Iam currently running a sv3 with a brushed motor but like i said i have the brushless combo sitting on the shelf. Extra wheel speed wouldnt hurt and it maybe better more efficient on run time??

Thanks!
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Gearing a sensorless combo for crawling?

It will cog and be pretty much useless for crawling. Nothing you can change in the esc to improve that.

You could try gearing it as low as you possibly can but I wouldn't expect much if I was you.

Stick with your brushed motor for crawling, other than buying into a $150 motor, brushless isn't a good choice for crawlers.

I just pulled a sensored brushless out of my rig because the sensor cable failed and the cogging was so bad it was almost undriveable.

The way I see it, a 35T (or even 27T) on 3S will give you plenty of wheel speed, and those motors are basically disposable for $15-$20 compared to the cost of a good quality sensored brushless motor taht will only provide very slight improvements in speed and run time.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

really depends on what you want crawling. Yep it will cog, gear it WAY down, see if it will work for your needs, gearing down will limit wheelspeed, so its your style.....

I just picked up a pair of brushed 35t motors for $22.00 ...disposable and will crawl great
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I had a Castle 3800/Sv3 in my mudder SCX10 for a bit and it actually wasn't as bad as I imagined, but there was still quite a bit of cogging. I could have geared down to something like 56/10 but I had it at 54/12 and it was just OK. For bashing around the trails I had no problem, but trying to comp and needing some decent control to pass gates isn't really an option.

I would say yes, you can use a sensorless Castle 3800/Sv3. You will gain wheel speed that will help on certain obstacles, but lose the low end which will help on others. You'll be heavier on the trigger which won't help run times.

Orrrrr you can go sensored brushless and have the best of both worlds .
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

I have a SCT/3800 combo I tried for a while with 56/9 gearing. Tried multiple settings, changed the throttle curve, everything I could think of. It was barely manageable on 2s, 3s forget it. It cogs terrible, especially when trying to pull up an obstacle. Wheel speed was great though. I broke down and bought a MMP and Tekin 13.5t today to replace it.
J&JFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Castle SCT/3800kv system in an old Jeepspeed scx10 didnt crawl. Was a blast to rip around with, but useless for slow speed and just got hot trying. That will be the consensus I'm afraid.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote

Gearing a sensorless combo for crawling? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sensored or Sensorless ESC/Motor combo Lentsnh2012 Axial Yeti 6 05-26-2015 12:29 AM
Sensored vs sensorless 4 pole brush less for rock racing and crawling gfmucci Electronics 8 05-25-2015 07:10 AM
Best sensorless esc combo for Axial Yeti Basherman61 Newbie General 6 07-25-2014 01:24 PM
Can Gearing Prevent Cogging of Sensorless System? notez2beat Electronics 8 05-17-2011 01:31 PM
Mamba Sidewinder SensorLess brushless for crawling? yellowpasta2000 Electronics 6 01-22-2010 10:48 AM