Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Tow rig/crawler suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 01:34 AM   #1

Default Tow rig/crawler suspension

what it does is use the leaf spring for towing and locating the axle, but when you want to get travel and flex you unlock the front spring hanger that pushes on an arm, which pushes on a coilover
Jack_Norfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2016, 08:50 AM   #2

Default Re: Tow rig/crawler suspension

Two springs and one dampener seems like a recipe for bounce, among other issues. Like two different spring rates, and lots of linkage geometry to work out.

Maybe a quick detach helper spring? Standard four link suspension, with a pair of removable leaf packs
Might work ok, likely much easier to pull off. 1;1 rigs can be set up in similar though typically permanent fashion.
MogollonMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Good idea but won't work. You have to have a moving mount and solid mount at all times to keep axle in place and allow for leafs to extend when compressed. With it just using leaf springs you're all set it once you pull the pin,
You have a moving shackle at the rear and moving pivot at the front. The axle will just shift front to back more than compressing the coil spring.
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Good idea but won't work. You have to have a moving mount and solid mount at all times to keep axle in place and allow for leafs to extend when compressed. With it just using leaf springs you're all set it once you pull the pin,
You have a moving shackle at the rear and moving pivot at the front. The axle will just shift front to back more than compressing the coil spring.
Alright, that makes sense, ill have to work on the design a little more

Quote:
I actually tried a small sloppy model in my shop class and it worked

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Last edited by THX_138; 01-04-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I thinking it's great that you're thinking of new things and making them, but the rear end cant move forward and back like that. If you have a body on it, the tire will hit the fender, driveshaft will seperate from slip joint. Leaf springs need one fixed pivot end at all times to work. Keep trying though!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:08 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I thinking it's great that you're thinking of new things and making them, but the rear end cant move forward and back like that. If you have a body on it, the tire will hit the fender, driveshaft will seperate from slip joint. Leaf springs need one fixed pivot end at all times to work. Keep trying though!
Yes, but leaves can float at both ends if the axle is located with links. I've seen this done in the 1:1 world, but don't recall it in RC.

Edit; Jack Norfolk, love that you're thinking, drawing pics and building models to test your ideas!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Good idea Nate. Links and springs. Where there is a will, there's a way.
Ben
Old 12-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, but leaves can float at both ends if the axle is located with links. I've seen this done in the 1:1 world, but don't recall it in RC.

Edit; Jack Norfolk, love that you're thinking, drawing pics and building models to test your ideas!
Thanks I really appreciate that

I drew up another design, it would run a 4 link like @Natedog was talking about, the shackles could be locked in place for leaf and slide for coil, what do you think?

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Last edited by THX_138; 01-04-2017 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks and you're welcome guys, now keep the ideas coming Jack.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tow rig/crawler suspension - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
custom CXT tow rig/crawler build thread mcrawlinslow Large Scale Rigs 37 01-27-2014 08:48 PM
Tow Rig for my crawler KryptoniteKummins Newbie General 22 10-17-2012 08:10 AM
bagged escalade tow rig for micro crawler. murdock General Scale Talk 12 03-03-2010 09:45 PM
Dually Tow Rig.....................Goes Prerunner/Crawler BENDER 2.2 Scale Rigs 292 02-24-2007 08:16 PM